
Uncover Valparaiso's Hidden Gem: Hotel Casa Somerscales Awaits!
Uncover Valparaiso's Hidden Gem: Hotel Casa Somerscales Awaits! – A Review From Someone Who Actually Stayed There (And Loved It!)
Alright, let's be real. You're not just looking for any hotel in Valparaiso. You're looking for the hotel. The one that whispers history, breathes charm, and doesn’t just offer a bed, but an experience. Well, buckle up, buttercup, because I just got back from Hotel Casa Somerscales, and I'm here to tell you… it’s a serious contender for that crown. And yes, this review is long, because, frankly, there's a lot to gush about.
First, the Essentials (Gotta Cover the Boring Bits, Right?):
Okay, okay, I know you want the nitty-gritty. Accessibility? They’ve got it. Facilities for disabled guests are mentioned, so hopefully, it’s not just a checkbox. I didn't personally need them, but it's good to know it's on the radar. Elevator? Yes, thank the travel gods. Internet? Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Hallelujah!). And, let's be honest, in this day and age, that's practically oxygen. Internet access – wireless everywhere. Internet access – LAN if you’re old school (respect). Daily housekeeping, a lifesaver when you're attempting to look presentable after a day of exploring. Cleanliness and safety? They take it seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, the whole shebang. They’re clearly on top of their game. The staff is trained in safety protocol. Peace of mind is priceless, especially these days.
The rooms themselves? Well, let's get to that…
My Room, My Cave, My Peace (The Room Rundown):
Right, my room. Oof. Imagine waking up to that view every morning. I had a room with a window that opens – vital for a breath of fresh, salty Valparaiso air. Air conditioning? Check. Essential in the hotter months, and trust me, you'll appreciate it. Blackout curtains? YES! Sleep is sacred, people. Don't underestimate the power of a good blackout curtain. Coffee/tea maker? Absolutely. And I, being a caffeine fiend, was eternally grateful. They even had complimentary tea – a lovely touch. Free bottled water? Saved me a few bucks and a lot of dehydration. The bed was seriously comfy. Towels were fluffy, slippers were provided (nice!), and there was a safe box to keep my passport from wandering off. Oh, and the hair dryer… a lifesaver for my unruly mane. Bathrobes for ultimate relaxation. There are non-smoking rooms, of course (thank goodness), and a desk to get some work done if you must (I tried to avoid it, though). The private bathroom was clean and well-appointed. Essentially everything was top-notch.
The Spa, or How I Turned into a Pudding of Pure Relaxation:
Okay, let's talk about the Spa. Now, I'm not always a spa person. I'm more of a "wander around all day and collapse" kinda traveler. But the pull of a promised sauna was too strong to resist. And let me tell you, it was worth it. The Sauna was hot, in a good, relaxing way. The pool with view… spectacular. I also tried the massage. I had a really hard week prior to this trip, and I really needed to be taken care of, and they did just that. I emerged feeling like a completely different person – less stressed, more zen, and smelling vaguely of lavender and happiness. Basically, I felt like I'd been reborn as a particularly pampered cat. The therapists were skilled and attentive. So if you need a little pampering, you're in for a treat.
Food, Glorious Food (Fueling the Adventure):
Listen, I love food. And Casa Somerscales delivered. Let’s start with breakfast. Breakfast [buffet]? Yes! Buffet in restaurant! There was a wide selection of fruits, pastries, eggs, and everything else you could possibly want to kickstart your day. Western breakfast, Asian breakfast with those delicious breakfast staples to give you a diverse option. The coffee/tea in restaurant was strong and plentiful – vital for a caffeine addict like me. Breakfast takeaway service for those hurried moments. The restaurants themselves offered a variety of choices. I ate several meals at the restaurants, and everything was delicious. Dishes were prepared fresh and served with a smile. They have a vegetarian restaurant, so anyone can find something. They made sure to provide what I needed, and they were super accommodating, even going the extra mile when I was feeling a little under the weather. Room service [24-hour]? Oh, yes. Midnight pizza craving satisfied? Check. Bottle of water? Always appreciated. They have a happy hour – which, let's be honest, is a crucial part of any good vacation. My favorite thing? The Poolside Bar with lots of snacks and desserts. Seriously, I'm still dreaming about their chocolate cake. They offer salad in restaurant, soup in restaurant for health nuts, and a plethora of other options. A la carte in restaurant – plenty of choices.
The "Things To Do" – aka, Exploring Valparaiso:
Right, beyond the hotel, Valparaiso itself is a total sensory overload – in the best way possible. The hotel staff was incredibly helpful. The hotel provides a concierge service to help you book activities. There is a gift/souvenir shop, in case you need a last minute present to give.
Here's the Rambly Bit (Because, You Know, Life):
Okay, so, here’s the truth bomb: I went to Valparaiso expecting to be impressed. I'd seen the photos of the colorful houses clinging to the hillsides. I knew about the street art and the history. But Casa Somerscales, that hotel, completely exceeded my expectations. It wasn't just the comfortable beds or the delicious food. It was the vibe. The hotel is built inside of a heritage site, giving it an authentic feel. It felt luxurious, yes, but it also felt… authentic. Like a real, living and breathing part of the city. One day, after a particularly long day of walking, I sat outside on the terrace with a glass of wine, watching the sunset paint the sky in fiery oranges and purples. It was absolutely breath-taking. The CCTV outside property made me feel safe at all times. The fire extinguisher provided peace of mind. The smoke alarms kept my mind at ease.
There were a couple of tiny imperfections, of course. The Wi-Fi struggled a bit in certain areas (but honestly, who cares when you’re in Valparaiso?). And one morning, the hot water took a while to kick in. But these were so minor that I barely even registered them.
Now, The Verdict:
Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Would I recommend it? Absolutely, Hotel Casa Somerscales is a hidden gem. It’s the perfect base for exploring Valparaiso, offering a blend of luxury, history, and genuine warmth. The staff were lovely. The food was delicious. The ambiance was perfect. And most importantly, I left feeling refreshed, relaxed, and (let's be honest) slightly less grumpy.
So, if you're planning a trip to Valparaiso, do yourself a favor and book a room at Hotel Casa Somerscales. You won't regret it.
And Finally, THE Call to Action (Because We're Here to Book, Right?):
Ready to experience Valparaiso like a local? Hotel Casa Somerscales is waiting to welcome you! Book your stay NOW and discover the magic of this incredible city in style! They’ve got non-smoking rooms, so book a room today! Don't wait!
Parisian Dream: Chic Montparnasse Family Apartment Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's travel itinerary. We're plunging headfirst into the gloriously chaotic heart of Valparaiso, Chile, with a home base at the Hotel Casa Somerscales. Prepare for some serious feels, questionable dietary choices, and more than a few wrong turns. Let's roll!
Valparaiso: The Ballad of a Bruised Beauty
(And Me, Trying to Keep it Together)
Day 1: Arrival and the Steepest Welcome
- 10:00 AM: Land in Santiago. Ugh, the long flight. My back is a mess, and I swear the guy next to me was wearing the same socks for the entire 14 hours. Finding a cab to the bus station was an Olympic sport, mostly involving frantic hand gestures and butchered Spanish.
- 12:00 PM: The bus ride to Valparaiso. Windows fogged up, the scenery is a blur of eucalyptus trees. I grab a questionable empanada at a roadside shop – let's call it a pre-emptive salute to my digestive system. Honestly, I should start learning some basic Spanish but I get distracted far too easily!
- 2:00 PM: Arrive in Valparaiso. Disaster strikes! The bus station is a madhouse, but I'm ready for it! Just kidding, I'm easily overwhelmed. I finally hail a cab, and the driver, bless his heart, looks genuinely concerned when I tell him "Casa Somerscales." The streets are steep! Like, seriously steep. I'm convinced the city was built by a committee of goats and masochists.
- 3:00 PM: Check into Casa Somerscales. Oh. My. God. The view. Forget the climb – this is the payoff! The hotel itself is a charming jumble of colorful walls, wrought-iron balconies, and a lobby full of antique furniture. My room? A sanctuary of pastel hues and a balcony practically begging for a glass of Chilean wine. I’m already in love.
- 4:00 PM: Explore the neighborhood! I wandered lost for about an hour, finding myself on a vibrant street art. It's a kaleidoscope of color and creativity, and I wish I was a better photographer to capture its essence. Oh, and the cats! Valparaiso has a cat colony situation happening. Which, to be fair, is a win for everyone involved.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant, "El Descorche." I was nervous since it's been awhile since I ate at a restaurant by myself but by the time I left, I had talked to everyone and learned a new word. The food was delicious, and the wine – a Carmenère, I think – was heavenly. I might have over-ordered the seafood. Don't judge me. I'm on vacation! The only downfall was the waiter with the "I know everything" attitude.
- 9:00 PM: Walk back to the hotel. And this is where the darkness and the steep hills really hit ya. I'm exhausted, but my soul is full. I could get used to this.
Day 2: Artistic Adventures and a Seriously Bad Decision
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Fresh avocado toast, strong coffee, and a view that makes you want to weep with happiness. I met a couple from Finland who were obsessed with Chilean pastelitos – apparently, they're the best hangover cure. Hmm, noted.
- 10:00 AM: Walking tour of the city's street art. HOLY COW, the art! This isn't just graffiti; it's living, breathing, exploding art. There's a mural on every corner, a story on every wall. I found myself completely engrossed, lost in the stories behind the paint. The tour guide, a charismatic bloke named Ricardo, was hilarious and passionate. Made me realize I've been living a very grey life.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a seafood place "Portena." One of the best meals I've ever eaten. I was lucky enough to get a table next to the window and watch the fishermen come and go.
- 2:00 PM: A visit to La Sebastiana, Pablo Neruda's house. The house is beautiful, but honestly the people…it's a pilgrimage, I swear. You gotta elbow your through to get a good view! I felt a little…small. (And a little hungry).
- 4:00 PM: The Cable Car of Death! Okay, maybe not death, but it certainly felt that way. These things look like they’re held together with hope and prayer. The views from the top? Stunning. The panic during the ascent? Unforgettable. I'd like to know how many of these old cable cars broke before they fixed it.
- 6:00 PM: Bad Decision Time. I decided to try the street food I saw, and I was warned but let my stomach get the better of me. Yeah, let's just say that night I met the ghost of Montezuma. A night of regret and the bathroom. Never. Again.
Day 3: Recovering and Reflecting (Mostly Inside)
- 9:00 AM: Bed. Bed is life. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say the pastelitos from Finland are NOT working.
- 11:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. I managed to eat a slice of toast and some water.
- 12:00 PM: Slowly move around, maybe take a short walk. The world is a blur, and my stomach is a clenched fist.
- 2:00 PM: I tried to do a little journaling. Valparaiso has a way of worming its way into your soul. The good, beautiful, artistic side. The bad, steep, cat-filled side. It has a way of making you feel alive.
- 4:00 PM: I'm feeling slightly better. I decide to venture out and explore the nearby parks, which are a welcome change of scenery.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. My appetite is returning. I opted for a simple soup. I need a gentle re-introduction to food.
- 8:00 PM: Back at the hotel. It's quiet, and I can finally breathe.
Day 4: Farewell, Valparaiso (And, Dear God, Don't Let Me Get Sick Again)
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Eating with a vengeance!
- 10:00 AM: Check out. Say goodbye to the Hotel Casa Somerscales. I'm going to miss that view.
- 11:00 AM: Grab a cab. This time, I'm prepared.
- 12:00 PM: Head to Santiago for my connecting flight home. The bus ride is quiet, contemplative. So many thoughts and memories.
- 3:00 PM: Arrive in Santiago, and all that is left is to board my flight.
- 10:00 PM: Arrive at home, and collapse.
Final Thoughts:
Valparaiso, you messy, beautiful, chaotic mess. You broke me, you healed me, you gave me a culinary lesson I'll never forget. I'll come back, maybe with a stronger stomach and a better sense of direction. But for now, I'm going to go lie down. And maybe, just maybe, order a pastelito. (Or not.)
Until next time, Chile!
**Cebu's Most Stunning Condo: Studio Casa Mira Tower 2 Awaits!**
Uncover Valparaiso's Hidden Gem: Hotel Casa Somerscales Awaits! - FAQs (and My Ramblings!)
Okay, spill the tea! Why this hotel? What's the big deal about Casa Somerscales?
Alright, alright, settle down, you eager travelers! I'll tell ya. Casa Somerscales isn't just a hotel, it's... well, it's *an experience*. Picture this: You've been wandering the crazy, colorful chaos that *is* Valparaiso. Cobblestone streets, crazy hills, art exploding from every corner. Then, BAM! You stumble upon this gorgeous building, clinging to the hillside like it's been there forever. That, my friends, is the entrance. And the deal is this: it’s steeped in history! Built, I later learned, by a descendant of the Somerscales family... It’s got this vintage vibe, a hint of faded grandeur, and seriously, you *feel* like you're stepping back in time. The decor is a glorious mix of antiques and local artistry. And the view... Oh, the view. More on that later when I try not to get all lyrical. But seriously, it's why I'd recommend this over any standard hotel. Especially one of those soulless chains. Blech.
Is it actually *hidden*? Because I'm not good with directions. Seriously, I get lost in my own kitchen.
Hidden-ish. Okay, let's be honest, it's *Valparaiso*. Nothing is exactly straightforward. It's not on the main drag, thank goodness. That means it’s quieter. But that also means you might need a map, or worse, a local *with* a map, to guide you. I remember the first time...I blame the pisco sours. I took a wrong turn, then *another* wrong turn, and ended up... well, at a dog grooming salon. Seriously. I kid you not. It was smelly, loud, and utterly charming, in a way. Eventually, a very kind woman pointed me in the right direction. (Bless her! And yes, the doggos were adorable.) Just, download offline maps, and maybe, *maybe* don't start your adventure after happy hour. Trust me.
The Rooms: What are they like? Fancy? Simple? Do they have those annoying hotel mini-bars that are like, priced to bankrupt you?
Okay, the Rooms. Listen, they are NOT sterile, boring hotel rooms. Thank GOD! They actually have personality, a soul! Each room is different, which I adore. Some have balconies with epic views. Some are a little more cozy, tucked away. One had a clawfoot tub! (I definitely took *several* long baths in that baby.)
Were they “fancy”? Well, depends on your definition. They're not super modern, which I loved. You get more character than the Ritz, certainly. It's more like *authentic* fancy. Think antiques, local artwork, comfy beds (with fluffy pillows, a HUGE plus in my book!), and big windows to soak in that darn view. About the mini-bar...there might have been a *small* selection of local goodies, but I didn't even *look* at it, because I'd be honest, I was busy exploring! So can't really comment on the pricing. I'd grab my own snacks, you know?
The View! Everyone's raving about the view! Is it *really* that good? Don't lie to me!
Okay, *okay*! Yes. The view. It's… it’s borderline obscene. Seriously. It’s the kind of view that'll make you choke up, even if you’re not the sentimental type. Imagine: Your balcony (I'm biased, I *need* a balcony), facing the whole of Valparaiso, the colourful houses tumbling down the hills, the ocean glistening in the distance, the ships moving slowly… I even saw a sunset, the sky just *exploding* in colours – orange, pink, purple, the whole shebang. I swear, I almost cried. I mean, it's just… it’s breathtaking. And, you know what? It's even better with a big glass of Chilean wine. Just saying. Pure, unadulterated magic. They could charge double for the view alone, and I'd still pay.
The breakfast: Tell me *everything*. I'm a breakfast fiend. Is it worth waking up for?
Breakfast… yes, absolutely. And yes, it's worth waking up for. Okay, maybe not at the crack of dawn, unless you're a super early bird. The breakfast room, by the way, is another gem. It’s right on the top floor, with – you guessed it – *another* incredible view. (Seriously, did they build this hotel on a magic spot or what?)
It’s not a massive buffet, thankfully. But it’s got everything you need, and it’s all delicious. Fresh fruit, local pastries (the empanadas were *divine*!), scrambled eggs, bacon, maybe some ham, coffee… And they didn't skimp on the fresh juice. Honestly, it was a great start to the day. One morning, I ended up chatting with another guest for *hours* over coffee. We watched the city wake up together. It was... really special. Breakfast is more than just food here; it's an experience.
What's the service like? Are the staff helpful, or do they just look at you sideways?
The staff? They are lovely. Really, genuinely lovely. Not that fake, overly-polished hotel staff that makes you feel like you’re being watched. They're chill, helpful, and they actually seem to *care*. They gave recommendations, helped me with directions (after my dog salon incident, they knew what to do), and just made me feel welcome. They speak English which helps immensely, but they don't mind if you butcher your Spanish either. I asked them a million questions, from restaurant tips to how to get a taxi or anything. They were patient, always smiling, and made me feel like a valued guest, not just a room number. It really enhanced my stay. It's the little things that make the difference.
Okay, the bad stuff. What's the downside? Be honest!
Alright, alright, don't get your hopes up *too* high. Nobody's perfect, not even Casa Somerscales. The downsides… hmmm. Okay, the hills. Valparaiso is *all* hills. So, be prepared for a workout. It's not the hotel's fault, but you will be climbing. A lot. And coming back to the hotel after a day of wandering is tough. I walked up the hill one day and collapsed in a heap on my bed. But when I turned to see the view I felt instantly better. Then there's the noise. Being in a city, there's always the sounds of traffic, the occasional dog barking, the vendors on the street. But honestly, itBoutique Inns

