Escape to Paradise: Villa de Leyva's Mesón de los Virreyes Awaits!

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Escape to Paradise: Villa de Leyva's Mesón de los Virreyes Awaits!

Escape to Paradise: Villa de Leyva's Mesón de los Virreyes Awaits! – A Review That's Actually Real (and Maybe a Little Crazy)

Okay, listen up, because I just got back from Mesón de los Virreyes in Villa de Leyva, and WOW. Seriously, wow. Forget perfectly polished travel blogs; this is the real deal, the messy, glorious truth. So, buckle up, because we're diving deep, deep into this little slice of Colombian heaven.

First Impressions: That Villa de Leyva Magic (and My Inner Critic)

Villa de Leyva itself? Breathtaking. Cobblestone streets, white-washed buildings, and an air of history that practically hums. Mesón de los Virreyes sits right in the heart of it, which is HUGE. No trekking miles with your suitcase. My first thought? "This is postcard-perfect. Okay, self, don't screw it up by expecting too much." (My inner critic is a real joy, let me tell you.)

The Room (A Sanctuary…Except for That One Thing)

I opted for a room… well, let's just say I went for the full experience. And the room itself? Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Think: exposed wooden beams, a massive, super comfy bed (extra long, even!), and a HUGE window that opened onto, seriously, the most perfect view of the courtyard. (I'm a sucker for a good view.)

  • Available in all rooms, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.

The bathroom was all marble and gleaming…almost too gleaming. There was also a bathtub – always a win! I spent like, half a day in the room. The only issue? The TV remote. Couldn't figure it out. Seriously, gave up. Didn't matter. That view! And the free Wi-Fi (yes, strong signal throughout – thank you), meant I was practically living the digital nomad dream, if my dream involved a LOT of lounging.

Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (But With Heart)

Look, this is where I gotta be honest. The hotel itself, while stunning, isn't fully wheelchair accessible. I mean, it's a historic building! There's an Elevator, which is a massive plus, and they do their best to accommodate. But some of the tight corners, the cobblestone streets outside… it's just something to be aware of. It's not perfect, but I got the impression they really try. And that matters.

  • Facilities for disabled guests.

Food Glorious Food (and My Personal Food Adventure)

Okay, this is where things get really good. The dining options (!!). Honestly, I gained five pounds. Zero regrets.

  • A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.

The breakfast buffet? Seriously, epic. The Asian breakfast was particularly a revelation as well as the Western breakfast. Pancakes, fresh fruit, Colombian coffee that'll have you buzzing all day… I may or may not have gone back for thirds. The restaurants themselves offered a wonderful mix of International and Western cuisine in restaurant that was cooked to perfection. The Happy hour at the bar? Don't even get me started. Let's just say I made some… new friends. The Poolside bar was the perfect place to relax between dips. A word of caution, be careful with the desserts.

Ways to Relax (aka, My Spa-cation)

I'm all about relaxing, and Mesón de los Virreyes delivers.

Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor].

The swimming pool? Divine. Crystal clear, with a view that makes you want to pinch yourself. They also have a Spa, I have had multiple massages, they were some of the best of my life. I may have indulged in a Body scrub and felt like a whole new person. I didn't make it to the Gym/fitness, because, well, pancakes. But hey, no judgement, right? I even took a nap I the Sauna.

Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe and Sound (Phew!)

Post-pandemic, safety is HUGE. And they get it.

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment.

I felt incredibly safe. Everything was spotless. They had all the measures in place, from hand sanitizers everywhere to staff trained in safety protocols. It felt like they really prioritized the well-being of their guests. I could relax, knowing I was in good hands.

Services and Conveniences: Everything You Could Possibly Need (and Some You Didn't Know You Did!)

  • Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.

The concierge was invaluable, helping with everything from booking tours to recommending the best arepas in town. I even saw a Shrine which was a nice touch. The Daily housekeeping staff were incredibly efficient and friendly. The Dry cleaning service came in handy after my unfortunate coffee incident (don't ask). Basically, they've got you covered.

For the Kids (Don't Worry, There's Something for Them Too!)

  • Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal.

I didn't bring any little ones, but the hotel clearly welcomes families. They have Kids facilities (I spotted a play area), and the staff seemed super friendly towards children. Babysitting service is available.

Getting Around: Easy Peasy

  • Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.

Getting around was a breeze. They offer Airport transfer (highly recommended!), and there's free Car park [free of charge]. You can easily grab a Taxi service.

The Bottom Line: Should You Go? (Absolutely!)

Look, Mesón de los Virreyes isn't perfect. It might not be super-accessible, and the TV remote might defeat you. But the charm, the location, the food, the service… it's all worth it. It's a special place, a true escape to paradise.

My Grade: 4.5 out of 5 Stars (minus the TV remote drama)

Don't miss out! Book your escape to Mesón de los Virreyes NOW!

Here's the deal: Book a stay of three nights or more and get a complimentary spa package including a massage and a body wrap! Plus, enjoy a free welcome cocktail at the poolside bar! But hurry, this offer is only valid for bookings made within the next two weeks! Don't just dream about paradise – live it! Click here to book: [Insert Booking Link Here]

Parisian Paradise: Welcome to Your Dream Hotel in the City of Lights!

Book Now

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, sterile travel itinerary. This is my Villa de Leyva, Colombia, survival guide, a chronicle of my glorious, chaotic, and probably slightly hungover experience at Hotel Meson de los Virreyes. Consider this less a schedule, and more a collection of memories, filtered through my sleep-deprived, coffee-fueled brain.

Day 1: Arrival and the Inquisition of Cobblestones (and Coffee)

  • Morning (or what passed for it): Landed in Bogotá. Hairs stood on end. It's that altitude. Then the taxi ride – a white-knuckle, winding descent into the sleepy embrace of Villa de Leyva. The driver, bless his heart, treated the road like a suggestion. "Tranquilo! Relax!" he'd bellow as we narrowly missed a donkey cart. Tranquilo?! Sir, my life force is actively trying to escape my body!

  • Afternoon: Hotel Hocus Pocus! Dragged myself to Meson de los Virreyes, a place I'd seen pictures of and envisioned myself as a tranquil poet. Reality? The cobblestones outside were a nightmare. Seriously, they attack your ankles. I swear I haven't stopped limping. The hotel itself… gorgeous. Massive wooden doors, a central courtyard overflowing with bougainvillea. Okay, poet vibes, commence! Checked in, then immediately passed out for two glorious hours. Needed that.

  • Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Coffee Addiction Begins. Woke up craving, no, needing coffee. Found a charming little place, "El Portal," near the main square. The coffee? Divine! Dark, rich, and strong enough to raise the dead. Sat there, people-watching, feeling like I'd finally landed. Saw a dog get sprayed with water from a car, and it was surprisingly profound. This is what vacation is all about.

  • Evening: Square-Watching and… Regret. The Plaza Mayor is where it’s at. Seriously, it's absurdly big. Ordered dinner at a restaurant with a patio. The food? Okay. The service? Less so. The waiter's air of indifference was almost impressive. After dinner, took a stroll around the square, admiring the colonial architecture. Briefly considered purchasing a sombrero. Decided I lacked the gravitas to pull it off. Also, the beer hit me hard. Regret.

Day 2: The Dinosaur Park and My Existential Crisis

  • Morning: The Dino-Sore Experiment. Okay, so, the dinosaur park. It's this weird collection of giant, concrete dinosaurs. It's a bit… weird. But also, kind of awesome? Spent an hour walking around, feeling like I was in a badly made Jurassic Park. Took a selfie with a Triceratops. Later, saw a couple of youngsters throwing rocks the size of my head at the dinosaurs, and I thought, "Is this what humanity is like?"

  • Mid-day: The Museo Paleontológico and the Meaning Of Life. I'd seen this amazing place, an paleontological museum, and it became immediately clear I had to go. I was expecting fossils, but instead, I got a lecture on the meaning of life at a certain point. My existentialism was stoked and the museum was amazing.

  • Afternoon: Market Madness. The local market! Oh, the smells, the colors, the chaos! Squeezed past stalls overflowing with exotic fruits (I bravely tried a lulo – tasted like sunshine and rainbows), and haggled for a woven bracelet. I'm pretty sure I was ripped off, but the bracelet is beautiful.

  • Evening: Back to the Square, Same Scenario, Different Angle. Dinner at a different restaurant tonight, hoping for better service. The food? Better, definitely a score. The square, again, a place of magic and wonder. It's incredible how a simple square can be this charming. Strolled around the plaza. It was lovely, except for a near-miss with a rogue motorbike. My reflexes are still questionable. Got back to the hotel, and passed out.

Day 3: Raquirá and the Art of Buying Crap

  • Morning: Raquirá (and the Pursuit of Pottery). Organized a car to Raquirá, the "pottery capital" of Colombia. This town! The colors! The crafts! It's sensory overload in the best way. I bought a ridiculously large ceramic cat (no regrets), a hand-painted plate (maybe regrets), and a bunch of tiny, useless trinkets. My suitcase is going to be a nightmare.

  • Afternoon: Back to Villa de Leyva, and the Pursuit of a Clean Pair of Socks. Wandered around the Hotel. Trying to find some clean socks. Found none. Spent an hour by the pool, attempting to read a book but mostly people-watching. This hotel has truly set a very high bar.

  • Evening: The Final Supper and a Moment of Serenity. Tonight, dinner at a restaurant that was on the other side of the square. The ambiance was a whole different feel. Savoring every last bite of empanada. Walked back to the hotel, taking a deep breath of the cool evening air. For a brief moment, I felt… blissful. The cobblestones were still there, but hey, I'd survived.

Day 4: Departure (and the Cobblestone Farewell)

  • Morning: Wincing as I packed. The cobbling stones, once again, were a menace to my ankles. Final coffee at El Portal. Saying goodbye to this place, it was a bit sad.

  • Afternoon: Taxi Terror 2.0. The ride back to Bogotá was, let's just say, memorable. Same driver, same death-defying maneuvers. This time, I was prepared. I gripped the seat, closed my eyes, and prayed to whatever deity would listen.

  • Evening: Home (and the Post-Travel Blues). Landed back home, tired, slightly sunburnt, with a suitcase full of questionable souvenirs. But also, with a heart full of memories and a soul that felt a little bit… refreshed. Villa de Leyva, you glorious, chaotic, and cobblestone-strewn paradise, you'll never be forgotten.

White Dragon Palace: Punakha's Unforgettable Bhutanese Escape

Book Now

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Okay, so, "Escape to Paradise: Villa de Leyva's Mesón de los Virreyes Awaits!" Sounds… fancy. Is it actually as opulent as it sounds? Because I’m picturing fluffy towels and people who *never* use the word "like."

Alright, let's be real. "Opulent" is a word that probably made the marketing team high-five. Mesón de los Virreyes *is* beautiful. Think: exposed brick, courtyards overflowing with bougainvillea, and enough history to make your head spin. But… and this is a HUGE but… it's not *stuffy* opulent. I showed up in my travel-worn jeans and a t-shirt, and no one batted an eyelid. Actually, the guy at the front desk (bless his heart, he probably deals with a LOT of stressed-out tourists) was super chill. He just pointed me towards the courtyard and said, "Relax, you're here." That's my kind of opulent. It's the kind where you can drink your coffee in peace without feeling like you have to hold your pinky up.
The fluffy towels? Oh, yeah. Those are legit. And the beds? I almost accidentally nap-slept for three days straight. Don't judge me.

The photos look amazing. But… are the rooms actually *clean*? Because I have a thing about questionable dust bunnies.

Okay, this is where I get real with you. I am a *clean freak*. I actually carry Clorox wipes like some people carry lip balm. I'm talking, "wipe down everything before I sit down" level of cleanliness. So, trust me on this. The rooms? Immaculate. Like, ridiculously so. I even checked under the bed (judge me all you want!). Not a single dust bunny. The bathroom was shining. They clearly take pride in their cleaning staff, and they deserve a medal. Seriously. If cleanliness is your top priority, you will be a very happy camper. My inner neat-freak was practically doing the tango.

Location, location, location! How is the Mesón's location? Do I need a car, or can I wander about on foot?

Okay so, listen up. The location? Brilliant. Absolute gold. You are practically in the heart of Villa de Leyva. The Plaza Mayor, with its crazy cobbles and the, uh, *slightly* wonky fountain (which I think adds character, personally) is just a stone's throw away. Seriously, you can wander around everywhere on foot. No need for a car unless you’re planning a day trip further afield. Honestly, walking is the best part. You stumble across little shops, cafes that smell of amazing coffee, and all sorts of historical gems. I got lost one afternoon (totally on purpose, of course!), and it was the *best* thing. Just wander at your own pace. Get lost. It's the only way to do it.

What about the food? Is it actually good, or is it just fancy-looking and underwhelming? (I once had a "gourmet" meal where the portion was smaller than a thimble; traumatized.)

Right, food. This is important. And honestly? The food was *delicious*. Forget the tiny portions and pretentious plating. They serve proper, hearty Colombian food. I had a steak that was cooked perfectly. They use fresh ingredients, and the flavors are incredible. There's a restaurant on site, and the breakfast buffet is something else. Seriously, I think I spent the first hour just staring at the array of fruits, pastries, and eggs. And the coffee? Oh, the coffee! I’m still dreaming about it. Did I mention I’m a coffee addict? There was one morning, I spent like, an hour just sitting at a table, drinking coffee and people watching. Pure bliss. Yes, definitely go for the food.
*Side note:* One evening I went to a little restaurant they recommended a few blocks away. Local place, the kind of place that only serves the same five dishes every day. It was amazing and authentic. But, and hear me out, it was only about a third of the price of some of the food at the Meson's restaurant. It was a real "a-ha" moment for me. So… yes, the food is amazing, but explore the local scene too. You won’t be disappointed.

Okay, let's talk about the "experience" as a whole. What's the atmosphere like? Relaxing? Bustling? Traumatic?

Oh, the atmosphere. Okay. Let me try to paint you a picture. It’s… serene. But not in a boring way. Like, the courtyard at night, with the lights strung up, is magical. People are chatting softly, maybe sipping some wine (the wine list is pretty decent, by the way), and you can hear the faint music drifting from the Plaza. There’s a real sense of calm. It's the sort of place where you can actually *hear* yourself think. I needed that, badly.
But here's the thing. It's not *solemn*. It's not like being in a mausoleum. People are laughing, enjoying themselves. There are families, couples, solo travelers like me. It's a happy place. I saw one little kid running around the courtyard, yelling, which made me smile. It felt real. And then, I had this moment. I was sitting on the balcony of my room, looking out at the stars, and I felt… at peace. Truly, deeply, at peace. That alone was worth the price of admission. It's the kind of place where you can properly unplug and just *be*. And honestly? We all need that sometimes.

Is there anything to be worried about or to keep in mind? Any downsides or things I should know before I go? (Be honest!)

Okay, okay, honest time. There *are* a few things you should consider.
First, the internet. It's… a little patchy. Be prepared for some moments of frustration if you're glued to your phone or need super-fast internet for work. Embrace the digital detox. Seriously.
Second, the cobblestones. They're beautiful, yes. But they're also… cobblestones. Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking, and those uneven surfaces can be a killer on your ankles after a while. Trust me, my feet screamed at me for the first two days.
And finally… the noise. Villa de Leyva is a lively place, especially on weekends. You might hear some music or chatter from the Plaza at night. It didn't bother me, but if you're a super light sleeper, maybe request a room away from the main courtyard. Or just pack some earplugs. Problem solved.
But seriously? These are minor things. The positives far outweigh any negatives.

Would you go back? And would you recommend it to... everyone?

Absolutely. Without a shadow of a doubt. I would go back in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm alreadyBook For Rest

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia

Hotel Meson de los Virreyes Villa De Leyva Colombia