
Kusatsu Onsen: Japan's Secret Hot Spring Paradise Awaits!
Blown Away by Bubbling Bliss: My Unfiltered Take on Kusatsu Onsen (And Why You NEED to Go)
Okay, folks, buckle up. Because I've just returned from Kusatsu Onsen, and let me tell you, it's less a "relaxing getaway" and more like getting slapped in the face with pure, unadulterated Japanese charm and hot spring goodness. Seriously, I'm still slightly giddy, and my skin? Gloriously soft. This isn't your average hotel review; this is a straight-up love letter to a place that’s somehow managed to feel both ancient and utterly modern. And, yes, I'm going to be brutally honest… because that's how I roll.
(SEO Keyword Blitz: Kusatsu Onsen, Japan, Hot Spring, Onsen, Wellness, Relaxation, Japanese Culture, Travel, Hotel Review, Accessible Travel, Spa, Sauna, Food, Japanese Cuisine, Free Wi-Fi, Family Friendly, Kusatsu, Onsen Town, Accessibility, Wheelchair Accessible, International Cuisine)
First Impressions & Accessibility (and the Unexpected Hurdles!)
Getting to Kusatsu felt epic. From the airport, it's a bit of a journey, but the views! Chef's kiss. Okay, so let's be real though, accessibility is a mixed bag. Accessibility – it's a mixed bag, it's always is, and it's important to set expectations: the town layout is hilly (it is in the mountains, duh!), so navigating with a wheelchair can be tricky, especially when they have the old wooden sidewalks (charming, but… not always practical). Facilities for disabled guests are available at the hotels, but I'd suggest checking in advance what the exact situation is with the different accommodations. Some hotels were definitely easier to navigate than others. One hotel had full wheelchair accessible features, including a modified bathroom, that I did get to see. This information is important for guests with mobility issues.
The Wi-Fi Whisper & Tech Troubles
Let’s talk internet, shall we? Because as a digital nomad with a crippling Instagram addiction, this is crucial. Good news and bad news. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, and I can confirm. Mostly reliable, and perfect for posting envy-inducing photos of your soaking body without the world. Internet access – wireless was good, Internet Access – LAN and Internet services are both an option, that'll do it for business, which is great. Now, the slightly less glamorous reality: While Wi-Fi was generally solid, I did have a minor meltdown when I couldn't get a solid connection to upload a video of me almost falling into a steaming onsen. The things!
Rooms with a View (and a Mini-Fridge Crisis)
Okay, the rooms. Non-smoking rooms, which is a huge plus for me. And the standard amenities? Pretty much everything you'd expect, and more. Air conditioning in public area and Air conditioning, in all rooms, so great. Now, the room itself was lovely, complete with Free bottled water, Coffee/tea maker, Bathrobes, Slippers. The views? Breathtaking, and you can, Open the window. However, I also had a mini-fridge crisis. One day, I ran down to the convenience store (there's a convenience store nearby!), and I stocked up on my usual snack food. Coming back, I immediately started to arrange it neatly in the fridge. My refrigerator, a tiny but reliable appliance, decided its job was only to maintain a cool level of food, and, therefore, it was not going to do it's best to freeze my soda into an ice block. This caused a minor existential crisis for yours truly.
Stuff to Do That's Beyond Brilliant (and a Bit Bizarre)
Forget your boring city tours; Kusatsu is all about embracing the Onsen life. Things to do? Everything is about relaxation. The core of Kusatsu is its hot springs – the draw, the reason you're probably reading this! And, trust me, it lives up to the hype. We're talking about a town overflowing with healing waters, volcanic steam, and a zen-like atmosphere. Ways to Relax? Beyond the onsen, which is the main way, there's the spa. Seriously, Spa is the way to go. We did the Body scrub, and the Body wrap, I'd recommend both! I did try to find the Fitness center but they weren't really advertising one, so I just spent my time in the onsen.
The Onsen Experience: My Soul Got a Bath
Okay, let's talk onsen. It's a whole thing. Forget everything you think you know about bathtubs. These are natural, volcanically heated, mineral-rich waters that promise to melt away stress, soothe your muscles, and leave you glowing. Pool with view is the way to go. Some have the Sauna, Spa/Sauna, or the Steamroom. Honestly, I spent hours – hours – soaking in the various pools. You sit in the hot water and go, "Wow, I'm living" If you are looking for a bit of a party atmosphere though, it's more of a swimming pool (outdoor) and Swimming pool in general. Trust me on this one: it's a life-changing experience. I've never felt so relaxed, so clean, so… me. There's even a tradition of "yumomi" – where you cool the water with wooden paddles and sing silly songs. It's absurd, it's hilarious, and it's totally essential.
Cleanliness & Safety: Feeling Safe and Sound (Especially Post-Pandemic)
I was super impressed with the cleanliness and safety measures. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer everywhere, Rooms sanitized between stays, and the staff were constantly wiping things down. I was also relieved to see Staff trained in safety protocol, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, and the availability of Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. They've really gone the extra mile. Even the Individually-wrapped food options are very considerate. On top of the basic stuff, for the people who have Room sanitization opt-out available, the hotels also have a doctor/nurse on call and a First aid kit.
Food, Glorious Food (and My Spicy Food Obsession)
Okay, confession time: I'm a HUGE foodie. And Kusatsu, thankfully, did not disappoint. The Restaurants were serving up some unbelievable food. I started with the Breakfast [buffet] – a dazzling parade of Japanese and Western delights. I had a Asian breakfast and a Western breakfast. The miso soup alone was worth the trip! The Buffet in restaurant was great and the A la carte in restaurant seemed pretty good too. I loved the Asian cuisine in restaurant, but there are a lot of various restaurants. I got to sample the Coffee/tea in restaurant, and the Salad in restaurant. And the Vegetarian restaurant really delivered. Bottle of water was a nice touch.
My absolute favorite was a tiny, family-run restaurant (I’m not going to name it, because I want it all for myself!) where I ordered a plate overflowing with a fiery curry and everything was very spicy. And the Desserts in restaurant were great too, I didn't even know Japanese sweets could be good! And it was all made with fresh, local ingredients. The Snack bar was not as good, which was a pity.
Additional Perks: A Few Extras That Made Me Swoon
- Cashless payment service: Super convenient.
- Concierge: Wonderfully helpful.
- Souvenir shop: I loaded up on gifts.
- 24-hour room service: Perfect for those late-night snack attacks. Not always easy to do.
The Fine Print: A Few Quirks & Imperfections
- Smoking area: Yes, they have them in some places.
- Limited English: Be prepared to use some translation apps (or embrace the adventure!).
- Pets allowed, not applicable.
Final Verdict: Book It. Right Now.
Look, if you're looking for a travel experience that's equal parts relaxing, rejuvenating, and utterly unforgettable, Kusatsu Onsen is it. It's a feast for the senses, a balm for the soul, and a place that will genuinely make you feel like you've discovered a hidden paradise. So, go. Book your trip. Pack your bags. And prepare to have your mind – and your body – utterly blown away.
But Wait! There's More (and a Special Offer Just For You!)
I've convinced you, haven't I? Good! To celebrate your upcoming trip to Kusatsu Onsen, I've negotiated an exclusive offer with a local hotel:
Book now, and receive:
- A complimentary traditional Japanese massage. (Get that knot out of your shoulders!)
- Free access to the hotel's premium onsen with private bathing areas. (Pure luxury!)
- **A 10%

Okay, hold onto your onsen hats, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is my attempt at surviving, thriving, and maybe slightly melting into the volcanic bliss of Kusatsu Onsen Hotel Village, Japan. Buckle up, buttercups, 'cuz we're going in… and I'm already regretting not packing more thermal underwear.
Day 1: Arrival, Awkwardness, and the Bathing Apocalypse (and maybe some ramen?)
- 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM: The Great Train Robbery (and Then, the Bus): Okay, so the "bullet train" hype is real. Seriously, it's like being teleported. But getting to the bullet train? That's where the chaos begins. Lost my ticket. Tripped over a small child. Briefly considered becoming a professional luggage-stacker just to avoid the whole "carrying a suitcase" thing. Finally made it. Then, the bus. Let's just say my Japanese skills, honed from a particularly intense Dora the Explorer phase, were… tested. Mostly by my inability to understand the bus driver's instructions about…everything. Ended up nodding and smiling like a lunatic. Arrived at Kusatsu, slightly disheveled, smelling faintly of desperation.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Check-In Chaos (and the First Crush): Hotel Village Kusatsu looks charming online. In reality? It's a sprawling labyrinth of bliss. Found the reception, eventually. The woman behind the desk had eyes that could melt glaciers and, bless her, a smile that actually made me feel a little less like a sweaty, lost tourist. Major points for the eye contact, lady. Major. Check-in? Smooth-ish. My room? Has a view! Of…the laundry room. Still, potential.
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Ramen Salvation: Okay, after the transport saga, I'm starving. Found a tiny ramen shop near the hotel. The broth? Divine. The noodles? Perfection. The sheer joy of slurping down hot, deliciousness after navigating a foreign land? Priceless. The only downside? I dribbled on my shirt. Twice.
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: The Onsen Initiation (and My Inner Lobster): This is it. The moment of truth. The onsen. I've heard tales. Nude bathing. Public nudity. Anxiety levels: through the roof. Walked in, mentally chanted "When in Rome," and…freaked out inside. The water? Hot. Like, really hot. My skin turned a lovely shade of lobster within seconds. Mortified that other people are so serene while I slowly cook. Ended up spending more time trying to discretely fan myself than actually enjoying the experience. But hey… I survived. (And, admittedly, the after-onsen glow is worth it. Seriously smooth skin, people.)
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The Quest for the Souvenir: Wander. Wander. Wander. I saw a shop selling wooden carvings, but I could not convince myself that it was a good idea.
- 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Dinner & Dreams (of not resembling a boiled shrimp): Dinner at the hotel. Surprisingly delicious Japanese food is served here too. I still don't know the names of half the things I ate, but everything tasted amazing. Now, sleep. And pray I don't dream of being chased by giant, red-faced soaking women.
Day 2: Exploring the Town & Drowning in Onsen (in a good way, hopefully!)
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast Bonanza (and More Ramen Regret): The hotel breakfast buffet. Glorious! A mix of Japanese and Western options. Ate way too many miniature pastries, and then, the inevitable. I really wish I'd packed a shirt that was not white.
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Yubatake Exploration, Emotional Meltdown Edition: Okay, the Yubatake (the hot spring water source) is stunning! It's all misty and sulfurous and… well, very Instagrammable. Spent approximately 45 minutes trying to get the perfect shot of the steam rising, battling other tourists in the process. Briefly considered becoming a travel blogger just to get free travel. But then I remembered I hate writing and dealing with internet trolls. Back to reality. I love Kusatsu, it is so beautiful.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch on the Fly (and a near-disaster with chopsticks): Found a tiny soba noodle place. Tried to use chopsticks. Fumbled. Dropped noodles everywhere. Briefly considered just eating with my hands. Decided against it (mostly). The soba? Incredible. The clean-up operation? Less so.
- 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Onsen Round Two: Redemption (and a Little Panic): I'm back. This time, I know the drill. Managed to spend (slightly) less time panicking and (slightly) more time enjoying the blissful warmth. The hot water does wonders on your skin. I'm now basically a walking, talking, glowing advertisement for onsen. A bit of panic again that caused me to bolt out of the water as I got too hot.
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Souvenir Round 2: This time it's Personal! Finally found the perfect souvenir: a tiny, utterly adorable cat figurine. Success! I got a gift for the people at home.
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Ice Cream is Needed: Walking around can be tiring. The heat is intense, and I need to cool down with ice cream. I found the perfect place.
- 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM.: Dinner & Dusk Delights: Another fabulous meal. Talked to a friendly local. They shared a story about a famous local legend. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's melted a bit in the onsen.
Day 3: Farewell Kusatsu (with a hint of melancholy, and a LOT of souvenir regrets)
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast & Big Regrets: Another buffet feast! I'm genuinely sad to leave. I see items in my room that I wish I had bought. I wish I had bought more wooden carvings, more snacks.
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: One Last Yubatake Gaze: Soaked in the beauty of the Yubatake. I promise, I will be back.
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Souvenir Shopping Overdrive: I'm now buying everything that I did not purchase before. I bought a gift for everyone.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Final Onsen Farewell: One last soak. Letting it sink in. The sulfur smell. The heat. The peace. I'm going to miss this.
- 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Departure Drama (and a renewed appreciation for public transport): Bus. Train. The whole shebang. Less chaos this time, thankfully. Maybe I'm actually getting the hang of this.
- 2:00 PM - Onward: Post-Kusatsu Glow & Planning the Return! The train rides away, and I'm already plotting my return. Kusatsu, you beautiful, hot, slightly embarrassing place. I'll be back, ready to soak, slurp noodles, and maybe, just maybe, master the art of smiling serenely in the onsen.
And that's the story of my Kusatsu adventure. A messy, imperfect, and utterly glorious experience. If you're considering going… just do it. Embrace the awkwardness, the heat, and the utter, blissful chaos. You won't regret it. (And pack extra shirts. Trust me.)
Parisian Dream: Chic Montparnasse Family Apartment Awaits!
Kusatsu Onsen: Japan's Secret Hot Spring Paradise – Your Burning Questions (and My Rambles!)
Okay, so you're thinking about Kusatsu Onsen? Good choice! It's... well, it's an experience. Prepare for sulfur. A *lot* of sulfur. And prepare for me to get completely sidetracked. This is my attempt to answer some common questions while also giving you the unvarnished truth, straight from someone who's been there, nearly passed out from heat, and still dreams about the *yubatake*... Let's dive in!
1. What *is* Kusatsu Onsen, anyway? Sounds fancy... but what's the deal?
Alright, so Kusatsu is basically a whole town *built* around a giant, volcanically-heated spa. Think of it as a ridiculously beautiful playground for hot springs. Pictures don't *quite* do it justice. Okay, maybe they do, the internet is full of gorgeous pictures. But those don't capture the smell (sulfur, remember?), the feeling of the cold air on your face as you step out of the steaming water, or the general air of slightly bewildered bliss that permeates the place.
It's famous for its high acidity, which is supposedly amazing for your skin. I'm not sure about that, all I know is I scrubbed off a few layers of dead skin. It's got a ton of *ryokan* (traditional Japanese inns), public baths, and little shops selling everything from *onsen* eggs (cooked in the hot springs) to incredibly weird souvenirs. And the *yubatake*...oh, that *yubatake*.
2. The *Yubatake*! Okay, what *is* the Yubatake, and why are you so obsessed?
Right! The *Yubatake*. It's the heart of Kusatsu. Imagine this: steaming, turquoise water flowing through a series of wooden channels, collecting mineral deposits before being distributed to the various baths. At night, it's lit up, and let me tell you, it's the most breathtaking thing... probably because its such an amazing sight to behold. It truly is. It's the source of the onsen water. And it smells... pungent. Like a freshly-hatched rotten egg, but in the best possible way. (You'll get used to it, promise).
I remember standing there, *freezing* my butt off in the night air (because it's in the middle of a town that's *very* high up in the mountains), just watching the steam rise. People were just milling around, bundled in their yukata (light cotton robes), and I felt... well, I felt like I was in a fairytale, or maybe in a really, really good dream. A cold, sulfur-scented dream. It's just... beautiful. And if you're lucky, the wind will shift and you'll get a waft of the sulfur. Pure bliss! Honestly, I'd go back just to stand there again. Oh, and they also do a light and sound show, which is... well, it's charming. Just go. Seriously.
3. What kind of baths are there? Public? Private? Nude? (Asking for a friend, obviously…)
Okay, let's get down to the nitty-gritty. Mostly public. And yes, mostly nude. Embrace it! Seriously, it's part of the experience. There are a few *ryokan* that offer private baths, but those are usually more expensive. The public baths (like the famous *Ohtaki-no-yu*) are where you'll find the real Kusatsu experience. And let's just say, if you're shy, get over it. This isn't the place to be self-conscious. Everyone's in the same predicament: stripping down. The water is hot, the air is cool (important!), and you might get some interesting people-watching in.
Now, the rules: wash thoroughly *before* entering the onsen. No swimwear. No tattoos (unless they're covered up - some places are cool with that; others, not so much). And, uh, don't stare. Just... relax. It's supposed to be about the healing properties of the water, right? And not ogling your fellow bathers. Trust me, after a few minutes in that heat, you won't care who's looking at what anyway.
4. What's this about *yumomi*? Sounds exotic and… weird.
Ah, *yumomi*. Well, it's also called "water-stirring". Yes, it's weird, but in a fun way. Because the water is so hot (like, ridiculously hot), they have this tradition of cooling it down by stirring it. With a wooden plank. And singing! It's kinda like a water aerobics class, but with a traditional twist. You get to watch (or, if you're feeling brave, participate) in this slightly bizarre ritual. Think of it as Kusatsu's signature performance art. It can be a genuinely entertaining and cultural experience, but honestly, it really doesn't make the water *that* much cooler, in my opinion. Still, go. It's a thing. It's part of the charm.
5. Is Kusatsu Onsen worth the trek? Is it a tourist trap? (Be honest!)
Honestly? Yes. Absolutely, unequivocally YES. Is it touristy? Yes, to a degree. But it doesn't *feel* like a trap. It feels like a genuine, authentic Japanese experience. The crowds are there, but they're part of the energy. It's a place where you can disconnect from the hustle and bustle of modern life (unless you're stuck on your phone, but why would you?) and really *relax*. The food? Fantastic. The scenery? Incredible. The feeling of your skin tingling after a long soak in the mineral-rich water? Pure bliss.
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to get to (trains and buses, mostly, unless you're renting a car – which can be a good or really bad idea depending on your parking tolerance). But the journey is part of the adventure. And the memory of it, of that smell, of the feeling of absolute warmth and relaxation... I guarantee it'll stick with you long after you leave. Just go. Seriously. Go now! I might even meet you there if you go... but don't expect me to share my spa time. That's MY time.
6. What should I pack/bring? Any pro-tips?
Right! Okay, packing for Kusatsu... it's not rocket science, but a couple of things will make your life easier. Firstly, a small, quick-drying towel. The *ryokan* will usually provide towels, but it'Trending Hotels Now

