
Lapalosa Lodge Pretoria: Your Unforgettable South African Escape Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into Lapalosa Lodge Pretoria. Your Unforgettable South African Escape Awaits!… or so they say. Let's see if it lives up to the hype, shall we? This isn't your cookie-cutter review; this is a warts-and-all, "I-ate-too-much-buffet" kind of story. Prepare for some rambling, some gushing, and maybe a little side-eye.
(SEO-focused title, because, well, we gotta get found!)
Lapalosa Lodge Pretoria Review: South African Escape? Let's See! (Accessibility, Spa, Dining, and… My Brain, Apparently)
First things first: the marketing. Honestly, the phrase “Unforgettable South African Escape” is a pretty bold statement. I’ve been to South Africa, and “unforgettable” usually involves a baboon stealing your sandwich or getting hopelessly lost on a dirt road. Let's see if Lapalosa can compete with THAT kind of unforgettable!
(Accessibility – the important stuff!)
Alright, so Accessibility. Crucial. And Lapalosa seems to be trying! They list "Facilities for disabled guests" and an Elevator. That's a huge win for many. I'm not personally in a wheelchair, but the inclusion is a huge plus. Seeing as they’re stating these features, I can only assume they’re present and functioning, which is a HUGE win.
(On-Site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges)
This one's a bit hazy. It's hard to say definitively from the listed features, but I'd definitely call ahead and inquire about specific access. If there are multiple levels or tight spaces, it could be a problem. BUT! With things like "Restaurants" and "Poolside bar," it suggests options. Call them up and ask.
(Wheelchair Accessible, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!)
Again, a mixed bag. We know they provide the internet. Whew! No horror stories here, thank goodness! We have Wi-Fi in the rooms. Double-check for the speed, though. Nothing ruins a relaxing escape like buffering videos. And the availability of LAN? Well, it depends on if you are looking for that sort of thing. Which I'm not.. Internet Services are present. So far, so good.
(Things to Do, Ways to Relax – this is where it gets interesting!)
Okay, the "ways to relax" list is extensive. And it has me drooling!
- Body Scrub, Body Wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor] - Okay, okay, I get it, Lapalosa, you want me to do nothing but pamper myself. Challenge accepted! The pool with a view? SIGN. ME. UP! This is what I want when I travel.
My Personal Lapalosa Therapy Session: The Massage Story
Seriously, if you're going to Lapalosa Lodge, YOU MUST experience the massage. Now, I'm not going to lie, I'm usually a bit of a stiff button-up when it comes to spas. But this… this was something else.
The masseuse (bless her heart, I think her name was Thandi) was incredible. She seemed to understand the very knots that I didn’t even know I had. Before I knew it, some time had passed and I was a puddle of goo on the massage table. I think I even snored. I'm not proud of it, but it happened. Afterward, I felt like I'd shed a layer of skin and could float on air. It was worth the price of admission alone. I was so relaxed, I nearly ate all the complimentary fruit.
(Cleanliness and Safety – the 'rona era edition!)
Lapalosa seems to be taking things seriously. This is important.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment - Okay, that's a lot. They've clearly gone all-in on safety protocols. The opt-out for room sanitization is a nice touch. It shows they treat guests with respect and not just something to disinfect. I feel safe. That’s a big deal.
(Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – the good, good stuff!)
Prepare your stomachs, friends. This is where Lapalosa really flexes. The list is long, the possibilities are endless.
- A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant - Deep breath. Whew. Okay. Buffet? Yes, please! 24-hour room service? SOLD! Western and Asian cuisine? My taste buds are quivering with anticipation. This sounds incredible, with truly comprehensive dining.
The Buffet – a Love Story in Bacon and Pastries
Listen, I’m a sucker for a good buffet. And Lapalosa's breakfast buffet was epic. And I mean, epic. The variety! The fresh fruit! The pastries! The bacon! It was glorious. I went back for seconds…and thirds… and maybe a sneaky fourth trip for a croissant. (Don't judge me.) I felt a little ashamed of myself afterwards, but it was worth it.
(Services and Conveniences – the little things!)
- Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center - See? I told you they thought of everything. Even "Shrine"! Okay, I'm not sure why a shrine is there, but hey, it's there. The concierge service and currency exchange are always welcome. The convenience store is a bonus.
(For the Kids – because family matters!)
- Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal - They seem to be well-equipped for families, with things like babysitting and kids' meals. This isn’t my area of expertise, but I'm guessing this makes the parents very happy!
(Access – getting in the door!)
- CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms - Security's tight, which is always a good thing. 24-hour front desk? Excellent. The "proposal spot" is interesting… maybe under the stars, overlooking the pool?
(Available in all rooms – the essentials!)
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens - The rooms are loaded. I’m picturing myself, bathrobe on, sipping my coffee, and getting ready for the day.
(Getting Around – the practicalities!)
- **Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Val

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. We're heading to Lapalosa Lodge in Pretoria, South Africa. Forget the pristine Pinterest boards, this is the real deal. Prepare for a travel itinerary that's less "scheduled perfection" and more "slightly unhinged adventure with a healthy dose of existential questioning."
Lapalosa Lodge: A Messy, Beautiful Love Story (and a few mosquito bites)
Day 1: Arrival & the Great BBQ Debacle
Morning (Let's Be Realistic: Late Morning) - Okay, so the flight was grueling. Don't even ask about the screaming child in 27B. Finally, we land in Johannesburg. Immigration? Smooth sailing… until I realized I'd completely forgotten to print out the crucial hotel booking confirmation. Cue frantic sweating and a silent prayer to the WiFi Gods. Success! Found it on my phone…after fifteen minutes of fumbling. The driver, a lovely chap named Themba, seemed to find it highly amusing. "Welcome to Africa, madam!" he chuckled. He was right.
Afternoon - Arrival at Lapalosa. First impressions? Lush! The air smells of something I can't quite put my finger on – a mix of earth, blooming jacaranda trees, and…potential for adventure. The reception staff is ridiculously friendly, handing me a welcome drink (some kind of vibrant, fruity concoction) that instantly erases all the travel woes. Check-in is a breeze – though I did accidentally drop my passport, scattering it like a confetti explosion. The clerk just laughed. This place already feels different.
Evening - The Barbeque of Doom (and Delight): So, Lapalosa promised a "traditional South African BBQ," or braai. The anticipation was KILLING me. I'd imagined sizzling steaks, crackling fire, and a sunset painting the sky. Reality? A bit more…chaotic. We're talking a minor smoke-related emergency. Picture this: I'm attempting to flip a sausage (one of the few responsibilities I was given) and it decides to break into a full-blown inferno. Smoke billows, everyone's coughing, and I’m pretty sure I’ve permanently scorched my eyebrows. But…the food! The flavors! Despite the minor charring and the near-apocalypse, the taste of that slightly burnt sausage, paired with a local beer, was magical. And the company? A hodgepodge of fellow travelers, swapping stories and laughing so hard my stomach hurt. This, my friends, is what travel is all about. Even when it involves a near-death experience courtesy of a rogue sausage.
Day 2: Wildlife Encounters & Existential Reflections
Morning: (Attempting) to be an Early Bird: The plan was a sunrise game drive. The reality? Waking up at a time that feels suspiciously like the middle of the night. Coffee is essential. It's a dark and bumpy drive to the reserve. The anticipation is off the charts though!
Morning (Continued): The Reserve - Game drive! The sun finally peeks over the horizon, painting the savannah in shades of gold and orange. Suddenly, we spot them…Lions! Majestic, lazy lions lounging under a thorn tree. Forget Instagram, I'm trying to process the sheer presence of these magnificent creatures. I'm a complete and utter puddle of awe. We see elephants feasting, giraffes gracefully ambling, and a rhino looking like he just woke up from a very long nap. This is the life.
Afternoon: Back at the lodge, I succumb to the lure of the pool. The water feels incredibly refreshing after the dusty game drive. I spend a good hour just floating, letting the African sun bake the tension out of my body. It's here, in the quiet solitude of the pool, that I find myself lost in thought. Maybe it's the vastness of the landscape that's got me feeling all philosophical, but I find myself pondering big things: life, loss, the meaning of…well, everything. It strikes me that the world is vast, and I'm just a small part of it. But right now, in this moment, that's okay.
Evening: Dinner at the lodge. I start chatting with this lovely couple from Ireland, and we end up talking for hours. The evening ends with us swapping travel stories and belly laughs, a perfect end to a day that started with lions and ended with existential ponderings.
Day 3: Cultural Immersion & a Deep Dive into Biltong
Morning: Time to explore. We head into Pretoria to explore some of the cultural sites the city has to offer. First stop: the Voortrekker Monument. It's impressively imposing, a stark reminder of South Africa's complex history. Afterwards, we visit the gardens and botanical gardens. What a beautiful place.
Afternoon: B-I-L-T-O-N-G. This is the day I find out that Biltong is my new obsession. It is everywhere. I find myself completely enamored. The dried, spiced meat is a revelation, and I may or may not have purchased an alarming amount. I sample every variety.
Evening: Final dinner! I have a moment of sadness realizing It's already the last evening and the next day I'm leaving. I enjoy my favorite meal from yesterday, while looking back on the entire trip. What a great adventure full of memories. We head to bed early to prepare for a final morning.
Day 4: Farewell, South Africa
- Morning: One last breakfast at Lapalosa. One last longing look at the view. One last cup of that delicious South African coffee. Then, it's time to pack up. The goodbyes are bittersweet. I feel a pang of sadness as I leave, but mostly, I feel…changed. Revived. Inspired.
- Afternoon: Back to Johannesburg airport. The flight home. The memories, the smells, the tastes…they'll stay with me forever. Even the slightly-burnt sausage.
- Evening: My head finally hits the pillow in my bed. I'm exhausted, but in that "lived life to the fullest" kind of way. I can't wait to go back.
In Conclusion:
This wasn't a perfect trip. There were flight delays, a near-BBQ disaster, and moments of self-doubt. But it was real. It was messy. It was beautiful. And it was, without a doubt, an adventure I'll treasure forever. Lapalosa Lodge, Pretoria, you were a glorious, imperfect, and utterly unforgettable experience. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a stash of biltong to devour. Until next time, South Africa!
Amalfi Coast's Hidden Gem: Borgo Santandrea's Unbelievable Luxury!
Lapalosa Lodge: FAQ - Because Let's Face It, You Have Questions...and We Have Answers (Sort Of)
Okay, so what *actually* is Lapalosa Lodge? Like, am I going to be eaten by a lion the second I step out of my room? (Serious Question)
Alright, breathe. No lions in the immediate vicinity of your chalet at Lapalosa. Unless, you know, a particularly adventurous one decides to set up camp on the veranda. But, in all seriousness, Lapalosa is a lodge, a real proper one, nestled in the heart of Pretoria. Think sprawling gardens, a pool that looks tempting even on a cloudy day, and individual chalets that are surprisingly private (especially when you're hiding from your partner after a particularly heated game of Scrabble... just saying...). It's a proper escape from the city without actually escaping the city. You'll probably encounter more squirrels than predators, I’d wager. Unless you count the dreaded 'mosquitos' as predators, because those little buggers are relentless.
The website talks about game drives...are they any good? Because let's be honest, some of those "game viewing" experiences are just glorified bumpy rides.
Okay, confession time: I'm not a huge "game drive" person. I prefer to, you know, actually *see* the game. But, (and this is a big but), the game drives at Lapalosa... they're actually kind of decent. They're not the Kruger Park experience, mind you, don't expect to see the Big Five on your first five minutes. But the guides? They're knowledgeable. And passionate! And they know where to look. Last time I was there, we saw a giraffe just casually munching on some leaves, and honestly? That was worth the bumpy ride alone. And the sundowners, oh the sundowners! They make even the most cynical traveler (ahem, me) feel a little bit... well, content.
Tell me about the food. Because, let's be real, a bad meal can ruin an entire weekend.
The food... ah, the food. It's... good. It's not Michelin-star level, let's not get carried away here. But it's hearty, it's well-prepared, and it's usually enough to silence even the grumpiest of bellies. The breakfast buffet is a glorious carb-fest, perfect for soaking up any... lingering effects from the night before (wink, wink). Dinner is generally a set menu, sometimes with a braai (South African BBQ!). I once had a truly *amazing* lamb shank there, it practically fell off the bone. But, and this is just me, sometimes it feels a little... predictable. Like you’re walking into a well-worn recipe book. Still, I’m not usually complaining when my plate is full, and I’m on a mini-vacation.
What are the rooms like? Do they have air conditioning? (Because Pretoria summers are NO JOKE.)
Yes! THANK GOODNESS. The chalets *do* have air conditioning. You will need it. Trust me. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and mostly spacious. Don't expect ultra-luxury, think more "rustic charm" meets "adequate amenities". Each chalet has a little veranda, which is perfect for enjoying a sundowner (there's that word again!) or just watching the world go by. I once tried to work from my veranda, thinking it would be all sunshine and creative genius. Instead, I got attacked by a particularly persistent fly and lost my train of thought. But hey, at least the view was nice. The bathrooms can be a bit dated, depending on the chalet you get, but they're functional. And let's be honest, you're not going to spend your entire vacation in the bathroom, are you?
Is Lapalosa good for kids? My spawnlets are... spirited.
Okay, 'spirited' is a diplomatic way of putting it. Lapalosa... can be good for kids. There's a pool, which is always a winner. They've got space to run around. The game drives, while not designed *specifically* for tiny humans, can be entertaining, depending on the child! I've seen kids love it, I've seen kids cry. It's the luck of the draw, honestly. However, be prepared to hear "Are we there yet?" approximately every five minutes on the drive there. And pack a *lot* of snacks. Trust me. Pack all the snacks! There isn't a dedicated kids club, and it's generally more geared towards a relaxing getaway. It's not Disneyland, people!
How's the Wi-Fi? Because, you know, gotta stay connected (even though you're trying to escape).
Oh, Wi-Fi. The bane of every holiday, and the unspoken requirement of modern existence. The Wi-Fi at Lapalosa... is patchy. Let's be honest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's fast enough to stream a movie, other times it struggles to load a picture of a cat. Embrace the disconnect! (Said the hypocrite, who constantly checks her emails...) Seriously though, it's better to just accept that you might not be able to live-stream your entire trip. It's a good excuse to actually, you know, *talk* to the people you're with. Or read a book. Or stare wistfully into the distance. The possibilities are endless... and Wi-Fi free.
Is there anything I should *really* know before I go? Like, a hidden secret or a warning of doom?
Okay, here’s my insider tip. Bring insect repellent. Seriously. The mosquitos can be relentless. And while you're at it, maybe bring a good book (or three). Because you *will* have time to read. Oh, and don't forget your camera. Because, even with the minor imperfections I've mentioned, the sunsets can be truly stunning. I once saw a sunset there that looked like the sky was on fire. It was so beautiful, I almost cried. Almost. And if you're feeling adventurous, ask about the hiking trails. They're not too strenuous, and the views are lovely. But mostly? Just go and relax. That's the point, right? To escape the chaos of daily life? (Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go, my phone is buzzing and I think... well, probably it's just work! Ah!)
Okay, I’m booked. Anything I should absolutely NOT do? Like, what's the ultimate Lapalosa faux pas?
Alright, listen up. This is important. Don’t feed the monkeys. I repeat, DO NOT FEED THE MONKEYS. They’re cute, yes. They’ll look at you with those big, innocent eyes. But they are *thieves*. I once left a bag of chips (the good stuff) unattended for approximately 30 seconds. In that time, a troop of monkeys descended,Boutique Inns

