
Edinburgh's Hidden Gem: The Inn on the Mile - Unforgettable Stay!
Edinburgh's Hidden Gem: The Inn on the Mile - Unforgettable Stay! - My Honest Take (Prepare for Rambling!)
Alright, get ready, because I'm about to spill the tea on the Inn on the Mile, that supposed "hidden gem" smack-dab in the middle of Edinburgh. And let me tell you, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. My stay was… well, it was a rollercoaster. A wonderful, slightly wonky, but ultimately unforgettable rollercoaster.
First Impressions & Accessibility - or, How NOT to Arrive in Style
Okay, so accessibility. Let's tackle that first. Because for me, it's HUGE. I'm not a wheelchair user, but I have mobility challenges sometimes, and let's be real, cobbled streets and old buildings can be a nightmare. The Inn on the Mile does have an elevator, and the reception area seemed fairly navigable. However, getting to the hotel? Forget it. Edinburgh's a beautiful city, but it's not exactly built with accessibility in mind. So, if you have mobility issues, factor that in. You'll need a good taxi service, and be prepared for some potentially bumpy rides and uneven pavements until reaching the hotel. That said, once inside, it seemed pretty good. Though I honestly found the idea of anything being labeled “accessible” in Edinburgh to be a bit… ambitious.
The Room: Bliss, Chaos, and a Questionable Bathrobe
Now, the room. Mine was… well, it felt like a little pocket of heaven. (Rooms sanitized between stays!) The bed? Oh, the bed! Extra-long, perfect for a fidgety sleeper like myself, and decked out with soft, clean linens. They say they have soundproof rooms, and honestly? I think they might actually work. I slept like a log, even with the street noise (and the bagpipers that haunt Edinburgh, bless their hearts) outside. The blackout curtains are the real MVP, trust me. Seriously, those things are amazing. (Alarm clock, Desk, Complimentary tea, Hair dryer, Wi-Fi [free], Refrigerator, Coffee/tea maker, Slippers, Bathrobes, Safety/security feature, Toiletries, Ironing facilities, Internet access – wireless, Air conditioning, Non-smoking rooms) - so many features!
The private bathroom was… adequate. The separate shower/bathtub was a plus. The bathrobes? Questionable. They looked clean, but… let's just say their texture was… unique. I’d stick with the soft towel. (Towels, Shower, Additional toilet, Mirror, Slippers).
The Wi-Fi (and the Lack of a Dedicated Desk)
The Wi-Fi [free] was a godsend. Needed to upload some pictures, which worked well. They also have Internet access – LAN, which I didn't even bother trying. No Laptop workspace in the room, so I just plonked myself on the bed with my laptop.
Eating, Drinking, and Snacking: From Asian Breakfast to Late-Night Soup - a Gastronomic Adventure
Okay, the food. This is where The Inn on the Mile really shines. ( Restaurants, Bar, Coffee shop, Snack bar, Room service [24-hour], Coffee/tea in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet], International cuisine in restaurant, Beer, Bottle of water, Desserts in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, Poolside bar. )
The Asian breakfast was a revelation! Seriously. I wouldn't have expected it in Edinburgh, but the dim sum was to die for. The Western breakfast was solid too. You could get Breakfast [buffet] or even have Breakfast in room. (Breakfast takeaway service)
I had a late-night snack – a surprisingly delicious soup – from the 24-hour room service. Their bar is a great place to hang out. I can't remember if they had Happy hour, I was too busy enjoying the atmosphere. The International cuisine in restaurant was a delight, especially the desserts!
Speaking of the bar, I spent one memorable evening chatting with a local about the best pubs in Edinburgh (which, spoiler alert, there are many). He made me laugh so hard I nearly choked on my pint. (That’s not a reflection on the pint BTW. The bar had tons of options and it was very inviting. Beer)
Cleanliness and Safety – Because Let's Be Real, It's 2024
On the safety front, they seem to take it seriously. (Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms, Security [24-hour]). All the usual precautions. I felt safe, which is a huge deal for me. The room was spotless, which is always a good sign.
(First aid kit, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Safe dining setup) - They did well in regards to these, too!
Things to Do & Ways to Relax – Ah, Forget About Relaxing
Okay, so The Inn on the Mile doesn't offer all the bells and whistles. There's no Spa, Sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool (indoor or outdoor), or Gym/fitness center. Boo.
(Massage, Foot bath, Body scrub, Body wrap) - It is what it is.
The Details: Services, Conveniences, and the Random Stuff
The Daily housekeeping kept things sparkling. The Concierge got me a last-minute table at that fancy restaurant I had to visit. (Though, let's be honest, everything feels fancy in Edinburgh.) The Luggage storage was a lifesaver because, well, overpacking. Always. The Elevator was a godsend, and I appreciated the Air conditioning in public area. (Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings).
(Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal)
And let's not forget the "hidden" stuff: The Front desk [24-hour] was always ready to help, the Smoking area came in handy (for those who partake), and I'm pretty sure I saw a CCTV outside property.
Getting Around: Navigating Edinburgh's Chaotic Charm
Airport transfer: I didn't need the Airport transfer, but I wished I had because getting to the hotel from the airport and any other place was tough with all its uneven pavements and cobblestones. Car park [on-site], Car park [free of charge], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking, Bicycle parking.
Overall Feelings & Would I Go Back?
So, would I stay at The Inn on the Mile again? Absolutely. Despite its quirks, despite the lack of a pool (which, let's face it, I wouldn’t have used anyway), despite the slightly wonky bathrobes, it's a genuinely charming place. It’s got character, it’s in a fantastic location, the staff are lovely. It's got that hard-to-define "something" that makes a hotel memorable. It feels real. It's not perfect, but it's real, and that's what makes it special. And yes, I'd brave those cobbled streets again for another taste of that Asian breakfast.
SEO Optimized Offer: Book Your Unforgettable Edinburgh Escape at The Inn on the Mile!
Tired of cookie-cutter hotels? Craving a truly unforgettable Edinburgh experience? Look no further than The Inn on the Mile! Nestled in the heart of Old Town Edinburgh, this hidden gem offers a unique blend of comfort, charm, and unparalleled access to the city's most iconic attractions.
Why Book The Inn on the Mile?
- Prime Location: Steps away from the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, and vibrant nightlife – perfect for exploring Edinburgh!
- Cozy & Comfortable Rooms: Enjoy spacious rooms with Air conditioning, Free Wi-Fi, (the all-important) Blackout curtains, and all the amenities you need for a relaxing stay.
- Delicious Dining: Indulge in a Asian breakfast you won't forget, plus international cuisine and a charming bar.
- Seamless Experience: Take advantage of our 24-hour Front desk, Daily housekeeping, and helpful Concierge services.
- Safety & Security: Rest easy with our commitment to cleanliness and guest safety, including Sanitization, Hygiene Certification, and 24-Hour Security.
- Accessibility Options: Equipped with Elevator and well-located in the heart of Edinburgh.
- Perfect for: Couples, families, solo adventures – anyone looking for a unique and memorable **Edinburgh stay

Edinburgh, You Saucy Tart! (A Trip Diary – In Progress!)
Okay, so here we are. Edinburgh. The Inn on the Mile. Feels a bit like a fancy shoebox, but the location? Chef’s kiss. Right on the Royal Mile. That, my friends, is the real prize. This isn't a perfectly polished travel brochure, mind you. This is me, desperately trying to make sense of this Scottish adventure, one pint of Guinness and questionable decision at a time. Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Bewilderment
- 1:00 PM: Landed in Edinburgh. Jetlag smacking me round the face like a wet kipper. Passport control – a blur. Seriously, did the immigration officer even look at me? Probably not. Just another pasty tourist.
- 2:00 PM: Taxi to The Inn on the Mile. Driver, a lovely chap named Dougie, regaled me with tales of the "loonies" who "take over" the city during the Fringe Festival. Sounded terrifying/hilarious. Dougie also informed me that I'd picked a "wee gem" of a hotel. Fingers crossed, Dougie, fingers crossed.
- 2:30 PM: Check-in. Room is… compact. Okay, really compact. Fits a bed, a tiny desk that I'm convinced was designed for a garden gnome, and a view of… well, another building. But hey, it's clean! And they have free biscuits! (Priorities, people.)
- 3:00 PM: First Edinburgh mission: find food. Royal Mile is packed. Like, shoulder-to-shoulder, people-who-clearly-didn't-pack-for-Scottish-weather-in-July packed. Managed to snag a haggis, neeps, and tatties at a pub called "Sandy Bell's." Verdict: Haggis is… intriguing. Let's just say I'm glad I had a pint of Guinness to wash it down. That stuff is liquid gold, I swear.
- 4:00 PM: Walked the Royal Mile. Got completely lost within five minutes. Endlessly charming, though. The architecture is stunning and every other shop sells kilts. So many kilts. I may or may not have considered buying one. Don't judge me.
- 6:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Exhausted. Jetlag is winning. Took a nap, woke up feeling worse. Drank a pint, still feeling worse.
- 7:00 PM: Decided to venture out for dinner. Picked a (highly recommended) Italian place. Ate pasta and drank even more wine.
- 8:00 PM: The restaurant was across the street from a bar, I went there.
- 10:00 PM: Fell asleep during the Scottish comedian's routine at a bar on Rose Street. Apparently, I snored. Mortified.
- 1:00 AM: Back in my shoebox hotel room. Contemplating my life choices. Edinburgh, you sassy minx, you’re already wearing me out!
Day 2: Castle & Conspiracy (and a lot of Coffee)
- 9:00 AM: Woke up feeling strangely… good. Sunshine! Success! Even though I'd been awake half the night. Coffee is my lifesaver. Found a decent café. The barista clearly thought I was a lost tourist, but the coffee was strong enough to kickstart the day.
- 10:00 AM: Attempted to conquer Edinburgh Castle. The queue was a beast. But the view from the top? Unbelievable. You can see the whole ruddy city! It's all so… grey. But in the best way possible, I promise. The wind was fierce, almost blew my hat off. Dramatic flair achieved.
- 12:00 PM: Inside the castle. Walked around for hours. So much history! So many stories! So many whispers of secret passageways and… ahem… royal shenanigans. Honestly, if those walls could talk… the tales they'd tell!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. Another pub. Another pint. Started chatting with a local guy (let's call him "Hamish"). He told me some fascinating stories about the castle's hidden tunnels and the alleged ghosts that roam the grounds. Conspiracy theories and beer: the perfect lunchtime pairing.
- 2:00 PM: Decided to do the Vaults tour. You know the ones under the Royal Mile. The ones that are supposedly haunted by actual ghosts. I was petrified. And I loved every second.
- 3:00 PM: The Vaults were even creepier than advertised. The guide (a very enthusiastic Scot) spun tales of poltergeists, restless spirits, and… well, you get the picture. I'm now convinced that there's something weird going on beneath the streets of Edinburgh.
- 4:00 PM: Back up on the sunny surface. Needed a stiff drink after that vault excursion. Found a Whisky bar. Yes, plural of whiskey is whisky in Scotland. Had a whisky tasting. Tried a few different ones. They all tasted amazing, and I'm pretty sure I could feel my soul warming up.
- 5:00 PM: Had a lovely chat with the bartender, who was so knowledgeable. I learned so much about Scotch whisky and how it is made and aged. I also learned that I had a long way to go to catch up with a true whisky expert.
- 6:00 PM: Another nap. Jetlag is relentless. I'm like a toddler, needing to sleep and drink.
- 8:00 PM: Okay, I admit it: I went back to the Italian place. The pasta was calling my name. Plus, the wine list was decent.
- 10:00 PM: Stumbled back to the hotel. Considering the purchase of a kilt. Seriously. Maybe.
Day 3: Holyrood & Hiking (or, the Day I Nearly Died)
- 9:00 AM: Coffee. Obviously. (I'm starting to feel withdrawal symptoms if I don't get my caffeine fix.)
- 10:00 AM: Visited Holyrood Palace. More royal history! More grandeur! More… portraits of people I've never heard of. Good history lesson though.
- 11:00 AM: Decided to hike up Arthur's Seat. "It'll be glorious!" they said. "The views are spectacular!" they said. They lied. It was bloody freezing! The wind was like the blade of a thousand knives, slicing through my layers. I’m pretty sure my fingers are still numb.
- 12:00 PM: Made it to the top. The view was amazing, but I was mostly focused on not getting blown off the cliff. Seriously, at one point I was hugging the ground for dear life. The woman next to me was wearing a skirt. A skirt! Madness! (Or maybe she was just braver than me). Did I mention the wind?
- 1:00 PM: After the hike, I was ready for some comfort food. So I took the bus back to the Royal Mile and found a bakery. They had fresh-baked scones. With clotted cream and jam! Pure heaven.
- 2:00 PM: The bus again. I went to a whisky distillery tour. The guide was enthusiastic, explaining the intricacies of their operations.
- 3:00 PM: After the tour, I spent some time in the gift shop and bought two bottles of whisky. This may or may not be a problem.
- 4:00 PM: Walked past the Scott Monument, took a few pictures
- 5:00 PM: Decided to watch a street performer or two.
- 6:00 PM: Returned to the hotel, had a late lunch, and took a nap.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner. I found a great fish and chips shop and had a proper meal.
- 10:00 PM: Back at the Inn on the Mile. The kilt situation is still under consideration.
Ongoing Commentary:
- The Weather: It's the thing you hear most about Scotland. They're not kidding. Come prepared for all four seasons in one day!
- The People: The Scots are lovely. Friendly, funny, and (mostly) patient with clueless tourists like me.
- The Food: Haggis aside, the food is generally fantastic. And the beer? Magnificent.
- My Mood: Up and down. Jetlag is a cruel mistress. But Edinburgh? It's magic. Even when I'm cold, lost, and slightly bewildered, I can't help but fall in love with this city.
- The Kilt: Still thinking about it…
To be continued… (Probably with even more rambling and questionable decisions!).
Da Nang DREAM VILLA: 3BR Hyatt Regency Beachfront Paradise!
The Inn on the Mile: You Ready for This Ride? (FAQish Really)
Okay, spill the tea. What *actually* makes The Inn on the Mile special? I mean, besides the obvious "it's in Edinburgh" thing.
Alright, alright, settle down. Look, I'm not going to lie, I wandered in expecting, you know, another slightly-too-chintzy-but-centrally-located hotel. Edinburgh's got a million of those. But The Inn on the Mile? It's different. For starters, it's smack-dab on the Royal Mile. Like, *right there*. You practically trip over history. But it's the *vibe* too. It's got this kinda… lived-in charm. Not in a 'dusty old attic' kind of way, more a 'cozy literary haunt with a ghost of a good whisky' kind of way. Think less sterile hotel and more… well, a place where *people* actually hang out. And the staff! Honestly, some of the friendliest folks I've met, up for a chat or a laugh.
Is it REALLY in a good location? That's the city centre, right? Is it noisy? My sleep is sacred.
Good location? Understatement of the century. You’re on the Royal Mile! Everything – *everything* – is walkable. Edinburgh Castle? A stone's throw. Holyrood Palace? A pleasant stroll. The Fringe? You're *in* it. Now, noise… yeah, it's a city. But I'm a light sleeper, and I was fine. They do surprisingly good soundproofing. Also, they provide earplugs. (Pro tip: take them, just in case. Better safe than sleep-deprived. I'd forgotten mine on one trip and, well... let's just say I saw the sunrise from a rather uncomfortable position. Don't be like me.) Honestly, if you're *that* worried, request a quieter room away from the street. They seem to know what they're doing.
The rooms… are they decent? Cosy? (My aesthetic is important, okay?)
Alright, aesthetic warrior, calm yourself! The rooms? They're… good. Not luxury suites by any stretch, but well-appointed, clean, and comfortable. They're not minimalist, which is a *huge* plus for me - I hate those stark, cold hotel rooms. They have character, you know? Think exposed brick, maybe a quirky piece of art. And the bathrooms! Small, yes, but efficient and they have excellent showers. I'm fussy about showers. And the beds? Comfortable enough that I actually *slept* in them, which, considering I’m a chronic insomniac, is a ringing endorsement. One time, though... the window blinds wouldn't close all the way (first world problems, I know), and I woke up at 5 AM with the sun blasting me in the face. I briefly considered staging a dramatic exit, but decided the location was worth it. So yeah, give them a try, they're decent. But if you're a high-maintenance drama queen, maybe this isn't the place for you.
Tell me about the food. Is there a decent pub? I'm a sucker for a good pub lunch.
Okay, pay attention. The Inn *is* a pub. A proper one with a good selection of beers and whiskies. The food? Decent pub grub. Hearty, filling, what you expect. Think classic Scottish fare – fish and chips, haggis (if you're brave!), and a solid burger. It’s not Michelin-star stuff, but it's perfect for a casual lunch after wandering the Royal Mile. There was this one time, though... I ordered the fish and chips (standard, I know), and it was *phenomenal*. Seriously, the best I'd had in ages. Crispy batter, flaky fish, proper chips. I actually went back the next day and ordered the same thing. And the day after that. And the day after that. Okay, maybe I got a little obsessed. Don't judge me. It was *that* good. Also, the breakfasts are a good start to a day of exploration. The coffee is decent.
What's the Wi-Fi like? Do you have to go crawling on your knees to find a signal? (We all know the horror...)
The Wi-Fi? Alright, alright. It exists. It's not the lightning-fast speed-of-light stuff, but it's perfectly usable. You can stream your shows, check your emails, and generally avoid having to interact with people (which, let's be honest, is the main reason we stay in hotels, right?). I had a few video calls with no issues. So, yeah, reliable enough. Not the *best* in Edinburgh, but, like, perfectly fine.
Anything I particularly *shouldn't* miss if I stayed there?
Okay, *this* is important. Seriously, don't miss these things. First, the location itself. Wander. Get lost on the side streets. Soak it all in. Second, the pub! Have a pint. Chat with the locals (they're friendly, honestly!). And third... (and this is a purely personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt)... Don't miss the fish and chips. Seriously. Just... *try* them. Even if you think you don't like fish and chips. You might just change your mind. (I'm still dreaming about them, okay?)
Any deal breakers? What are the downsides?
Alright, time for the reality check. It's not perfect. The rooms can be a little on the small side. The stairs can be a killer if you get a room on a higher floor. (I had to haul my suitcase up three flights once... felt like I was climbing Everest.) The pub can get *loud* on weekends. And sometimes, you just have a bad day, the water pressure is a tad low, they run out of certain whisky... But honestly, those are minor quibbles. I went back multiple times despite these minor inconsistencies because the core experience is so good. It genuinely feels like a comfortable place in a great location.
Is it worth the money? Honestly?
Look, Edinburgh isn't cheap. Hotel prices can be brutal, especially during festivals. But considering the location, the atmosphere, and the general decent-ness of the whole experience? Yeah. I think it's worth it. It's not going to break the bank, and you'll get a genuinely enjoyable stay. Plus, you'reDigital Nomad Hotels

