Varanasi's Hidden Gem: Hotel Basant - Your Unforgettable Stay Awaits!

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Varanasi's Hidden Gem: Hotel Basant - Your Unforgettable Stay Awaits!

Varanasi's Hidden Gem: Hotel Basant - My Chaotic, Wonderful Stay (and Why You Need to Book Now!)

Okay, listen. Planning a trip to Varanasi is like trying to herd cats across a rollercoaster. It's beautiful, chaotic, utterly captivating, and frankly, a bit overwhelming. Finding the right place to crash is crucial, and that's where Hotel Basant, the "Hidden Gem," supposedly comes in. And guess what? They weren't lying.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a hotel reviewer. I'm a travel-obsessed, slightly disorganized human who loves good food, a comfy bed, and a solid internet connection. And I'm also brutally honest. So, here goes…

Getting There & Getting Around: A Slightly Rambly Start

  • Accessibility (and the Lack Thereof, Mostly): Let's be real. Varanasi is…well, it's not exactly built for wheelchairs. The actual hotel itself has elevators (good start!), but navigating the streets outside? It's an adventure, even if you're not trying to navigate those narrow lanes with a wheelchair. The hotel is doing its best, though, and the staff is SUPER helpful.
  • Airport Transfer: Thank god for this! After a long flight, that airport transfer was a godsend. Seamlessly picked up and dropped off, saving me from battling the Varanasi traffic on my own.
  • Car Park [Free of Charge], Car Park [On-site], and Valet parking: Parking is a thing in Varanasi. Thankfully, these guys have you covered. Though I'm not sure I'd trust valet parking with my beat-up rental.
  • Taxi Service: Readily available if you want to travel for yourself, but be sure to negotiate the costs before hand.
  • Bicycle parking: Okay, so I'm not sure I'd want to bike around Varanasi, but it's an option, and the hotel offers a place to keep the thing.

The Room: My Sanctuary of Sanity (Mostly)

  • Available in all rooms: Okay, here we go, all those options, and here's what I found:

    • Air conditioning: Essential. Absolutely, positively essential. It’s HOT. The AC worked wonderfully.
    • Alarm clock: I used my phone, but it's there!
    • Bathrobes, Slippers: I LIVE for these! Especially the bathrobes, nice and fluffy, after a long day.
    • Bathtub, Separate shower/bathtub The little things made my experience so much better. The shower was good, the bathtub was the best!
    • Blackout curtains: Crucial for battling jet lag and the early morning sun.
    • Closet, Ironing facilities: Yes, yes, and yes!
    • Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Free bottled water: Hello, morning ritual! Also, the little touches like the water were great.
    • Desk, Laptop workspace: I actually did SOME work (don't judge), so this was handy.
    • Extra long bed: As a side sleeper, this was great to be able to stretch out.
    • Hair dryer: A lifesaver!
    • High floor: The view was amazing! Seeing a city like Varanasi is a once in a lifetime chance, and with this high floor, I didn't want to miss it.
    • In-room safe box Never used it, but good to know.
    • Internet access – wireless, Wi-Fi [free]: Okay, this is important. The Wi-Fi was actually decent. Not lightning-fast, but reliable enough to make video calls (which is more than I can say for some places I've stayed). Definitely helps that it's free!
    • Linens, Towels: Fresh and clean, which is ALWAYS welcome.
    • Mirror: Double-check that you look presentable before going out to see the world.
    • On-demand movies I didn't use it, but hey, if you're stuck in a room on a rainy day…
    • Private bathroom, Toiletries: The toiletries were alright, but I always pack my own favorites.
    • Refrigerator, Mini bar, Bottle of water: stocked up on everything I needed to survive!
    • Satellite/cable channels: Because sometimes you just need to zone out.
    • Seating area, Sofa Having a space to chill and read was amazing.
    • Smoke detector, Socket near the bed You know, the essentials.
    • Soundproofing Worked well, and especially good considering the city is outside.
    • Telephone: Haven't picked up a phone like that in years, but it works.
    • Wake-up service, Window that opens: Great for those who rely on it.
  • Things I LOVED: The soundproofing. Seriously, Varanasi is LOUD. Like, a cacophony of horns, bells, and general city life. And while I loved being in the heart of it, sometimes you NEED a quiet space. My room was an oasis.

  • And the "Meh": The carpet. It was clean, but the carpet was not my favorite. I guess that's just being extra picky, but I prefer wooden floors.

Cleanliness & Safety: Reassuring, Especially in These Times

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays: HUGE plus. You can feel the effort they're putting in to keep things clean. Made me feel safe and comfortable.
  • Hand sanitizer: Readily available.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: They were all masked and taking it all seriously.
  • First aid kit, Doctor/nurse on call: Peace of mind, always a good thing.
  • Safety/security feature, Smoke alarms, Fire extinguisher, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Security [24-hour]: They take safety seriously, which is great.

Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: Feed the Soul (and the Stomach!)

  • Restaurants, Bar, Coffee shop: The heart of this place.
  • Breakfast [buffet], Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Options, options, options! The breakfast buffet was a highlight. A fantastic mix of Indian and Western options meant I could start my day with anything I wanted.
  • A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant : Everything available, and delicious!
  • Poolside bar: Yes, please! A chilled beer by the pool, watching the sunset…pure bliss.
  • Room service [24-hour]: Perfect for those late-night cravings or when you just want to chill in your bathrobe.
  • Happy hour: Always appreciated.
  • Snack bar: Great for a quick bite.
  • Bottle of water: Staying hydrated is key.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant, Essential condiments: Got my caffeine fix in the morning.

Here's my BIG takeaway on the food: The quality was surprisingly good. Considering the price, I expected mediocre hotel food. But the chefs at Hotel Basant clearly care. I had some seriously delicious meals there. The Asian dishes were on point. And the coffee was strong!

Ways to Relax & Unwind: Ahhhh, Bliss!

  • Spa, Massage, Sauna, Steamroom, Pool with view, Swimming pool [outdoor]: Okay, THIS is where Hotel Basant truly shines. After a day of battling the Varanasi heat and crowds, the spa was heaven. I indulged in a massage (amazing, seriously, book it!), and then spent an hour in the sauna. The rooftop pool with the view was perfect for an evening drink. This is where I spent most of my time.

Services & Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter

  • Air conditioning in public area, Elevator: Yeah, still a winner.
  • Concierge, Luggage storage, Daily housekeeping: They were helpful.
  • Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange: Useful.
  • Laundry service, Dry cleaning, Ironing service: I’m always messy, so I was so glad they did this.
  • Doorman, Non-smoking rooms: Standard, but important.
  • Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Seminars, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Indoor venue for special events : Good if you're there for business.
  • Gift/souvenir shop: Grabbed a few things for my friends.
  • Safe dining setup: They take care of their guests.

For the Kids, Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids meal I don't have kids, but good to know if you're traveling with a family.

The Bottom Line: Hotel Basant - You Need to Book This

Honestly, I was hesitant. "Hidden gem" sounds overly used, a marketing gimmick. But Hotel Basant genuinely exceeded my expectations. It's not

Polaris Manila's Herald Suites: Unbelievable Luxury Awaits!

Book Now

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your sanitized, perfectly-planned travel brochure. This is real. This is Varanasi. This is me, probably slightly jetlagged, trying to make sense of it all while simultaneously dodging cows and existential dread. Here's the attempt at a schedule for my Hotel Basant Varanasi adventure… and trust me, things are already off the rails.

Hotel Basant Varanasi: A Slightly Chaotic Chronicle (Emphasis on the Chaotic)

Day 1: Arrival & Immediate Sensory Overload (AKA, the Day My Soul Briefly Left My Body)

  • Morning (ish… let's be honest, more like noon): Landed at Varanasi airport. Smooth flight? Absolutely not. Delayed flight, questionable airplane coffee, and the distinct feeling of being a very pale foreigner in a sea of vibrant saris. Found a pre-paid taxi, which seemed like a good idea at the time. The driver, bless his heart, drove like he was auditioning for a Fast & Furious movie. Honestly, the streets of Varanasi are organized chaos, and he was embracing it fully.
  • Late Afternoon (Still Trying to Recover From the Drive): Arrived at Hotel Basant. The building itself is… well, charming. In a slightly dilapidated, "been-here-since-the-British-left" kind of way. The lobby smells faintly of incense, dust, and a hint of desperation. The staff, bless their hearts, are trying their best. Check-in was a saga. Lost my phone trying to find the room and the key fell under somewhere I could not see.
  • The Room: Basic, adequate, and with a balcony overlooking a cacophony of sounds. The good news is AC is working. The bad news is that mosquito net's effectiveness is… questionable. I suspect I'll be donating blood tonight.
  • Early Evening (Attempting to Conquer Fear of the Unknown): Stepped out to explore. The ghats. Oh. My. God. The ghats. It's a sensory explosion. Colors, sounds, smells… everything is amplified. The sheer density of life is overwhelming. Elderly men chanting, skinny cows wandering, the Ganga herself shimmering under the setting sun. Saw the aarti ceremony was going on. And the smoke was everywhere. My eyes burned, my throat scratchy, and I realized, with a jolt, that I was utterly, completely, gloriously… lost. I loved every single second. Fell so in love the moment I saw it.

Day 2: The River of Whispers & the Quest for Filter Coffee (AKA, Fueling My Soul… and Caffeine Addiction)

  • Morning (Pre-Dawn Vigil): Woke up before the sun. Stumbled down to the ghats and watched the dawn break over the Ganges. The peace, the utter stillness… for about three minutes. Then the vendors started shouting. But even the chaos felt sacred. Took a boat ride, bobbing along the water, taking in the view of the ghats. This gave me chills. I can never forget the emotions it showed me.
  • Mid-morning (Failed Quest for Filter Coffee): Breakfast at a "nearby" cafe. My quest for authentic South Indian filter coffee was met with lukewarm Nescafe and a side of existential disappointment. Apparently, even in India, good coffee can be hard to find. Walked in the narrow streets, got so lost, and I didn't even care.
  • Afternoon (The Temple Experience): Visited the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. It's intense. Like, REALLY intense. The crowds are packed and the security is tight. I actually got yelled at for taking a photo and my anxiety skyrocketed! But, you know, I felt it. I truly, truly felt the beauty of the Hindu temples.
  • Evening (Double Down on the Ghats): Ok, I'm obsessed. Went back to the ghats. This time, I was determined to just be. Sat and watched the world go by. The cremations. The prayers. The sheer, unadulterated life of it all. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking all at once. I was so lost that I didn't even know the way back to the hotel. After a while, I decided to find a place to eat. It was a good night!

Day 3: Food, Frolicking, and the Looming Threat of Delhi Belly (AKA, It's All About the Food… and Praying I Survive)

  • Morning (The Taste of Varanasi): I'm a foodie and I realized it's possible to eat your way through Varanasi, so I dived headfirst into the street food scene. From chole bhature (spicy chickpea curry with fried bread) to the best lassi I've ever tasted, my taste buds are singing. My stomach, on the other hand, is starting to stage a protest. This is a gamble, and I'm fully committed.
  • Afternoon (Silk Shopping and Price Haggling): Varanasi is famous for its silk. I’m not a shopper, but if you don't buy it, no one will believe that you were there. So, I went to a few shops, and, after a brutal haggling session, I acquired a beautiful silk scarf, and a good laugh (I think I may have been ripped off; I don't care).
  • Evening (Rambling Around the Old City): Wandered aimlessly through the ancient bylanes. The smells, the sounds, the crowds, the chaos… it’s all a swirling, intoxicating mix. I got lost again, of course. It's basically a requirement here.
  • Night (The Hotel Basant Embrace): Back at the hotel, finally! The staff is still smiling, despite my constant demands and general clumsiness. Ate dinner at the hotel's rooftop restaurant (the view is incredible, the food is… well, it's food). Praying for a good night's sleep, and that my stomach lets me survive the night. It’s an honest prayer.

Day 4: Departure (Hopefully Alive and Intact) & Souvenir Shopping (AKA, The Final Push… and the Rush to Remember)

  • Morning (Last Glance and Coffee): One final early morning walk on the ghats. Tried to find that elusive perfect cup of coffee.
  • Late Morning (Souvenir Panic): The realization that I'm leaving. Panic sets in. Scramble for last-minute souvenirs. Which, I realize, I should have done earlier.
  • Afternoon (The Delhi Belly Verdict): Stomach grumbling. I'm starting to feel it. It's only a matter of time. Am I ready? It appears I am.
  • Evening (Departure): Taxi towards the airport. I'm sad to leave. I'm relieved to leave. It's been an experience, that's for sure.

Final Thoughts:

Varanasi is a paradox. It's dirty, chaotic, and overwhelming. And yet, it's also beautiful, spiritual, and utterly captivating. It challenges you, it frustrates you, and it stays with you long after you've left. Hotel Basant was a perfectly imperfect base, a place to recharge, and to fall deeper into the madness. I may have lost my phone, gained a slight stomach ache, and experienced several moments of utter bewilderment. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find the nearest toilet… and maybe some Pepto-Bismol. This trip was… intense.


Disclaimer: This is a fictional itinerary based on a hypothetical trip. It contains elements of humor, exaggeration, and personal opinion. Please don't take it as a definitive guide to travel in Varanasi. You'll be fine doing it your way!


Shanghai's Hidden Gem: Hi Inn Nanqiao - Unbeatable Price & Location!

Book Now

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant: Spill the Chai, Not Your Secrets (FAQs)

Okay, seriously, is this place *actually* a "hidden gem"? Or just another tourist trap with a slightly fancier paint job?

Alright, let's be brutally honest, because that's how I roll. "Hidden gem" is a cliche, right? Like, everyone *says* that. But with Hotel Basant... okay, yeah, it kinda *is*. I stumbled upon it after a particularly sweaty rickshaw ride (seriously, Varanasi humidity is a force of nature – it'll cling to your soul!), and I was immediately charmed. It's not some glitzy, over-the-top resort, thank god. It's… well, it's like finding your grandma's attic, but it's clean, with a view of the Ganges, and the grandma is super chill and makes amazing chai. Think less polished marble, more authentic charm. Is it perfect? Heck no! But that's part of its, dare I say it, *charm*. You know, the kind of charm that makes you forgive the occasional power outage and the slightly wonky plumbing because... hey, you're in Varanasi! It's all part of the adventure, right? Mostly.

What's the *vibe*? Is it a party hostel or a quiet retreat for meditation gurus?

Neither! Thank God. It's a happy middle ground, which is *exactly* what I needed. I'm not sure about the meditation guru thing, but I saw someone doing yoga on the rooftop at sunrise, which, lets be honest, it's cliche but it fits. And it's spectacular with the view of the Ganges. The vibe is relaxed, friendly, and a little... *bohemian*. Think laid-back travelers, couples, a few solo wanderers like myself, all swapping stories over chai and rooftop sunsets. It’s not loud, not raucous, just a genuine, easygoing atmosphere. I even made friends! Which, for a cynical introvert like me, is saying *something*. On my last night there, a few of us even got involved in a impromptu drumming session on the roof. The night was magical and even the guy with the seriously questionable taste in music (I am looking at you, Bill) and the dodgy taste in instruments was, surprisingly, enjoyable.

The rooms – spill the tea (or chai)! What are they like?

Okay, confession time. The rooms aren't exactly suites fit for royalty. They’re… let’s call them ‘comfortably basic’. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing! They’re clean, the beds are comfy (after a long day of exploring, that's ALL that matters, believe me), and most importantly, they have air conditioning (a MUST in Varanasi, trust me; the heat is brutal, seriously, BRUTAL). The decor is simple, maybe a little dated, but *authentic*. I had a room with a balcony overlooking the Ganges… and let me tell you, that view made EVERYTHING worthwhile. Literally. The constant parade of life – the ghats bustling, the boats bobbing, the smoke from the cremation pyres swirling in the air (yes, it’s real, and it's a very powerful experience) – it's a sensory overload in the best possible way. It might not be fancy, but it's REAL. And for me, that's what matters. My room? Fine. The view? Holy moly, incredible.

And the food? I'm a picky eater, do I need to pack my own snacks?

Listen, I’m a foodie. A total, unapologetic, food-obsessed foodie. And listen, it is good. Really good, and surprisingly varied. They've got a restaurant with a small but decent menu. Breakfast is pretty standard – toast, eggs, fruit, sometimes the lovely Indian breakfast (which, if you're not used to spices, can be a bit of a shock to the system in the best possible way!). Lunch and dinner are where it gets interesting. I had some of the best dal makhani (creamy lentil stew) of my life there! And the *chai*... oh, the chai. They have a chai wallah on staff who makes the most PERFECT chai. Just heavenly, milky, spiced goodness. *Daily*. Seriously, I may have gained a few pounds from the chai alone. So, no, don't pack your own snacks. Unless you're *super* specific about what you want to eat, then maybe. But try the food. Trust me on this one.

What about the staff? Are they helpful? Do they speak English?

Okay, okay, staff. This is where Hotel Basant truly shines. The staff are incredibly warm, helpful, and genuinely *kind*. They go above and beyond. I genuinely felt like they cared about their guests, and that's not always the case, even in "nice" hotels. Most of the staff speak excellent English. They're always up for a chat, happy to offer advice on what to see and do, and will happily arrange anything you need – from a boat ride on the Ganges to a taxi to the airport. I remember one time, when I was trying to haggle with a tuk-tuk driver (a skill I have yet to master), one of the staff members came over and essentially saved me from getting ripped off. Saved my holiday and my bank balance! Seriously, they don't just work there; they're genuinely lovely people. Honestly, they were one of the best parts of the whole experience.

Location, location, location! How far is it from the main attractions?

The location is fantastic. It's right on the ghats (the steps leading down to the river), which means you're in the heart of the action. You can walk to all the major ghats, the temples are a short rickshaw ride away, and the market is easily accessible. It's also quieter than staying right in the thick of the busiest areas, which is a welcome relief after a day of navigating the crowds. The plus is, the chaotic and electric atmosphere of Varanasi is right on your doorstep; the minus, the chaotic and electric atmosphere of Varanasi is right on your doorstep! Prepare for the incessant buzz of the city. Honestly, you get *used* to it. It's part of Varanasi's charm. You'll probably do a lot of walking, so be prepared. And bring comfortable shoes. My feet still haven't forgiven me!

Any downsides? Be honest!

Alright, the downsides. Let's not pretend there aren't any. Like everyone, I had a few hiccups. First off, the Wi-Fi can be a bit… patchy. Embrace the digital detox, seriously. Secondly, (and this is probably the biggest thing) sometimes the noise from the ghats can be a little much. There's constant chanting, bells ringing, and the general hubbub of a city that *never* sleeps. Bring earplugs. No, seriously, bring earplugs! Lastly, and this is just a general Varanasi thing, notRooms And Vibes

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India

Hotel Basant Varanasi India